LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SM   13 February 2021

Brokerage issue

I was staying in Airoli on rent based on agreement from April-2019 to March-2020. In March-2020, There was an agreement on stamp paper for the above period through some broker. I paid deposit of 60000 INR and rent of 20000 INR. I went to my native place because of dads health. There was lockdown declared in the same month and I was stuck at my native place. However I continued to pay rent based on previous agreement to my owner. There was no renewal of agreement due to lockdown. I vacated the flat on November 2020 due to financial reasons. When I asked my owner to return my deposit amount, my owner is asking me to pay notice period rent that is for December 2020. In addition to this he is asking me to pay brokerage. I told him that I have requested the broker not to take any brokerage. Now the owner says that it is his broker that should be paid the brokerage. I came to know that there are 2 brokers involved in this case. However I have never met his broker or submitted any kind of documents to him for agreement. I gave all of the above to my broker. I told him that I cannot pay someone who was not involved during my first agreement. There is no name mentioned or any signature or any kind of involvement on paper of his broker. Is there any way, I could get my deposit back and how much?

Learning

2 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 February 2021

Broker and brokerage is private arrangements, unregulated by any law.

Adv. Morzaria (Advocate )     16 February 2021

You should not have vacated the flat, until complete payment of your Refundable Deposit Write a detailed complaint to the nearby police station stating all history of your case, the police can act as a mediator and help you recover the deposit amount , you have to mention in the complaint that you were forcefully evicted. Approaching a civil court as advised by an expert would incure huge legal expenditure , much more than your actual deposit amount

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register