LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Cool Breeze   20 May 2023

Bride family threatening to marry forcefully

I am a 34 year old guy living with my Mom and sister.my mom fixed my marriage without my consent 4 years back and I told the girl on phone that I don't want to marry her .now they have fixed the marriage 12 June and threatening me to marry .I have told girls father and relatives that I am not responsible to marry and they are threatening me to get marry otherwise they will take action against me .

my mother is involved in all the marriage preparation and I was unaware about the situation.

I am seeking help right now as I do not want this forceful marriage I never met girl and never had any ceremony before marriage. I don't want to get caught in legal affairs also as it will impact my professional life.please suggest me what to do .

Learning

3 Replies

Niharika Lohan   20 May 2023

Hi Cool Breeze, I’m Adv. Niharika and here is my take on you query.

You are an adult of 34 years, my advice to you will be to settle this family matter amicably and with a cool mind, try explaining to your parents your reasons for not getting married/ not getting married to that particular person. However, if all your efforts fail and you seem like you have no choice left then you can take the help of law.

You can file a complaint against your parents/ to be in laws at your local Police Station that they are forcing marriage upon you and threatening you regarding the same. In actuality, no serious consequences will take place, they will only try to advice and counsel your parents, but on the other hand this will become a matter on record and in case you want to get out of the marriage in future under sec 12 (c), this record will help you in the court of law.

I’d advise that kindly use your discretion in filing a complaint against your parents, because then arise a chance that you might be precluded from succession (out of anger, revenge, frustration) from your family.

I’ve attached Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 for your kind reference here.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/bare_acts/hindu-marriage-act-458.asp

I’m also attaching an article for your kind reference on the matter.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/release-from-a-forced-marriage-1141.asp

I hope this information yields fruitful to you and in case you require further guidance, you can contact me via email at niharikalohan@yahoo.com

Cool Breeze   20 May 2023

Hi niharika please provide me your number as girls family are threatening me and my family 

Niharika Lohan   22 May 2023

Hi Cool Breeze, you can reach me at niharikalohan@yahoo.com and we can then schedule a consultation for the same.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register