IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Meena Walia   13 July 2020

appliying for divorce

howncan a house wife with no money apply for a divorce as she is not able to pay the lawyers fees ?


 8 Replies

Shalini Kashyap   13 July 2020

Hello ma'am, Article 39A of the constitution of India provides for free legal aid. Legal Aid means giving free legal services to the people who are unable to afford the services of an advocate for the conduct of a case or a legal proceeding in any court, tribunal or before an Judicial authority. It is the duty of the State to see that the legal system promotes justice on the basis of equal opportunity for all its citizens. It must therefore arrange to provide free legal aid to those who cannot access justice due to economic and other disabilities. Services offered by the Legal Services Authority: 1.Payment of court and other process fee; 2. Charges for preparing, drafting and filing of any legal proceedings; 3.Charges of a legal practitioner or legal advisor; 4. Costs of obtaining decrees, judgments, orders or any other documents in a legal proceeding; 5.Costs of paper work, including printing, translation etc. Ma'am you can visit the office of legal services authority of the respective Court to avail the free legal legal aid services. Thank you

Meena Walia   14 July 2020

thanks a lot mam

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 July 2020

Originally posted by : Meena Walia
howncan a house wife with no money apply for a divorce as she is not able to pay the lawyers fees ?

@ Meena,

Approach Secretary of your district / state legal services authority for providing necessary and  free help/ lawyer (at the cost of State government).

Meena Walia   14 July 2020

thanks a lot for your reply

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 July 2020

The best option is to present the petition and appear party-in-person. As regards to free legal aid, it is fine in theory but in practice, thee is much spill between the cup and the lips.

498 A fighter (Advocate)     22 July 2020

Though you get a legal aid but it will be not sufficient in many area or city

because this is proffession and every one put effort till he get some thing

so if you want remedy then you have to pay little bit as per settlement.



There are District Legal Aid Services to help people who cannot afford themselves a counsel at District level. Then there are HC and SC LAS. I am counsel, MPHC Legal Aid Services. With some diligence you may also select amongst them and they will deliver for you.


Abhishek Tiwari

drvivek saroj   04 August 2020

Please guide us , My younger brother has married in last year 2019. After a month we came to know that his wife is suffering from serious mental disorder, in which she became violent when she has not taken medicine , her mental illness was concealed by their parents. My brother done his best to live happily to accept it as his fate. Our parents asked from the bride's father about her illness. They accepted that they concealed it purposefully. However on the account of legal process, we have taken the affidavit by his father that he willfully concealed the illness. Now during the treatment neurologist has advised that their children will also suffer from the same disease as it's congenital disease. Now in this situation my brother wants to divorce or judicial separation. Whereas the other party don't want to give the divorce. The previous prescripttion and test report is with the other party. guide us please

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query