LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

UJAS DHARAMSHI (Corporate Lawyer)     12 October 2010

alternative to adoption?

Dear All, According to adoption law, a child cannot be obtained after child is above 15 years. So if a child is 18 yrs then how can he be adopted?? Can making a trust and appointing child beneficiary be an alternative.. Or a change of name same as adoptive parents surname and then a contract can be made between adoptive parents n child?? What can be done to adopt a 18 yrs child?? The adoptive parents hv no children n r above 50 yrs. Kindly suggest any remedy.

Learning

4 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     12 October 2010

Sir, I think the adoption law in India does not support the conditions regarding the age of adoptive parents and also adoptive child in the case you have mentioned. I think it is possible to make a Trust and name the person to be adopted as a beneficiary. But I feel they miss the relationship which prevails between the parent and the child. It is just giving the benefits in a different form. The emotional bond will be absent.

(Guest)

What about Khazan Singh Vs U.O.I. Khazan got into police service after getting himself adopted into a scheduled caste family. Justice Krishna Iyer not only upheld this adoption but even lauded and encouraged it.

(Guest)

Adoptions by Marwari community are not supported by law. You can read the case law in Property Act either in Vol I or Vol II.

(Guest)

CLIP OF SUCHITRA.S--CORRECTLY STATED:

"

Sir, I think the adoption law in India does not support the conditions regarding the age of adoptive parents and also adoptive child in the case you have mentioned. I think it is possible to make a Trust and name the person to be adopted as a beneficiary. But I feel they miss the relationship which prevails between the parent and the child. It is just giving the benefits in a different form. The emotional bond will be absent.

"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register