Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     20 July 2011

AIWC chief holds women responsible for foeticide, backtracks

‘Women responsible for foeticide’, repeats AIWC chief, then backtracks

A meeting to prepare women for the upcoming Women’s Reservation Bill by the All India Women Congress (AIWC) turned out to be an exercise in woman bashing, ending with a free-for-all between two rival groups on Monday.

Newly appointed AIWC president Anita Verma set the tone for the day through a press release which said, “Women alone are responsible for female foeticide.

Verma, in the press statement, blamed women for agreeing to abort a female foetus under pressure from husband and in-laws. The statement said it starts with a woman — the mother-in-law is usually the first to ask for s*x determination tests and abortion — and ends with a woman who agrees to abort the girl child and becomes a party to the crime.

However, Verma later disowned the press statement. “I have not issued this statement. The words — women alone responsible for female foeticide — is a mischief played by someone,” she said.

The private public relations firm which had released the press note said it had put it together for the press conference and the note had been faxed to Punjab Mahila Congress president Ratna for approval. “It was released only after being screened,” said the firm’s director.

The AIWC president, meanwhile, had more nuggets of advice on why a girl child should be more desirable. “I am a mother of two daughters. I will get two well-settled sons-in-law. So, as mothers of daughters, one is also relieved of the bigger tension of settling sons",she said.

Verma went on to say that a major focus of the Mahila Congress, as the Women Reservation Bill awaits nod of Parliament, is to ensure that women sarpanches get power in their hands. “More often than not, it is their husbands who call the shots. Most of the times, women do not know who to approach to get works done. The vision of the late prime minister Rajiv Gandhi was to empower women. But, it is the husbands who wield the power,” she said, adding that the Bill will ensure 50 per cent reservation to women in local bodies and panchayats.

https://www.indianexpress.com/news/women-responsible-for-foeticide-repeats-aiwc-chief-then-backtracks/819361/

Learning

12 Replies

Ms Liberal (others)     20 July 2011

The lust of male child is alwys there in all classes of family. Even in the past the people prefer to have male child that's why they called "putervati bhav:"

I am not criticisng this without hurting the sentiments of of our ancestors but this was the fact and the women too carry out the tradition from past to presnt but henious crimes such as female feticide was not there as today.

Women treat whether boy or girl equally but however some kind of prefernce as male child is still there especially when she was already having the baby girl

This was higlighted in one case in which couple living in Mumbai has approached to Bombay High court for allowing them to use diagnostic test as they was having 2 babies girls which was disallowed by the hOn'ble court and after the decison the woman reportedly to have miscarriage.....?

In thios regard , I will add that all sections are litlle bit doirectly or infdirectly responsible for this foeticide

the doctor who do abortion in majority of cases is  also the lady doctor (gynaecology). The woman who willing to give consent is also responsible(Here I will say if she prefer to file 498A then I cannot say that she has lost the courage here....)  and her inlaws too resonsible for this

(Guest)

infighting in aiwc, so many mens rights activists must be happy to hear this news.

The AIWC president, meanwhile, had more nuggets of advice on why a girl child should be more desirable. “I am a mother of two daughters. I will get two well-settled sons-in-law. So, as mothers of daughters, one is also relieved of the bigger tension of settling sons",she said.

in her opinion daughters are just a means to an end. lol:)

(Guest)

Women fought over,as they are not prepared to accept this bitter truth that "A woman is the enemy of another woman".

Let us suppose the entire breed of men is wiped out...(just an example;don't take it personally dear menfolks).

Even then there will be no harmony and peace in the world.Women will kill each other with their sharp tongues,taunting and nagging,resulting out of sheer jealousy and struggle for power.

(Guest)

and no women will make any effort to make herself presentable or pleasing

(Guest)

Killing of girl child begins with muslim invasion in india. the blood drinker invaders from arab, turky, mongols, persians etc etc attacked our land and raped , abduct, forceful marriage and conversion of our female ancestors. so gradually the western and northern indians developed a culture to abandon girl child either by early marriage or killing in womb. it also develop parda pratha. 

one will find very low % of these killing, burqua or early marriage in Assam, Himachal or south India. this is because invadors had little impact on these areas.

you can argue with my points and pro pakis can reject my points but think carefully because one can find remedy in root of problem only.

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     20 July 2011

These women should be punished for charges of murder.

These days when women don't take a single minute to file false cases against her husband and their family it can't be accepted that they are under any pressure for foeticide.

They themselves do not want girl child.

They must be punished.

Originally posted by :debashis
"
Killing of girl child begins with muslim invasion in india. the blood drinker invaders from arab, turky, mongols, persians etc etc attacked our land and raped , abduct, forceful marriage and conversion of our female ancestors. so gradually the western and northern indians developed a culture to abandon girl child either by early marriage or killing in womb. it also develop parda pratha. 

one will find very low % of these killing, burqua or early marriage in Assam, Himachal or south India. this is because invadors had little impact on these areas.

you can argue with my points and pro pakis can reject my points but think carefully because one can find remedy in root of problem only.
"

Agreed.

However that era of invasions is now gone.So no point blaming those invaders 1000s of yrs. later.We have to hold the present people responsible who are doing this.those invaders did not issue us any sermons that we have to follow their traditions 1000s of yrs. later,and for eternity.

Fopr ex.:we wont justify sati in today's era,only because it was practised many yrs back.

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Bhaskar
"
These women should be punished for charges of murder.

These days when women don't take a single minute to file false cases against her husband and their family it can't be accepted that they are under any pressure for foeticide.

They themselves do not want girl child.

They must be punished.
"

This is the height of hatred towards Indian wives.Mr. Bhaskar,you are distorting the true facts of fem. infanticide rampant in India.

Do you mean to say that after a baby girl's birth,all her family members except her very own mother are happy.So her  mum kills her due to this hatred???

Instead of boring people with your super long bhaashans and updesh,face the reality.That mum-in-laws have the major role to play during fem. infanticide.

(Guest)

Agreed.

However that era of invasions is now gone.So no point blaming those invaders 1000s of yrs. later.We have to hold the present people responsible who are doing this.those invaders did not issue us any sermons that we have to follow their traditions 1000s of yrs. later,and for eternity.

Fopr ex.:we wont justify sati in today's era,only because it was practised many yrs back.

@Roshni B :

we must be specific to particular problem and its root cause.  we got independence just 62 years back. british ruled only 200 years. It has its impact on only urban and educated people where as 700 years rule of rapists & blood drinkers still rule the rural and uneducated/semi litrete people. find solution only with root cause otherwisw Govt will impose another law like Hindu marriage act which has nothing to do with term Hindu.

all arguments u give are simply lame excuses,which we indians are good at.we keep blaming britishers for our present mess,whereas countries like korea which got independence around same time have progressed far more than india.but we indians simply love to pass the buck onto the britishers,so that we can cover up our own immorality and cowardice.

root cause is not education.it is lack of morals and rigidity.

u dont become flexible and morally upright with education.this is THE BIGGEST MYTH we have been living with for so many yrs.if that be so,all educated celebrities will stop exposing their bodies.

and all educated families will also stop going abroad for s*x determination tests.

if this same attitude continues,then 100 yrs. later we'll be saying "India is still underdeveloped,because politicians after 1947 kept looting india.so we need more time to dvance".

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     21 July 2011

Princess,

You yourself said that mother in law initiates this but ultimately women agrees for the foeticide.

So culprit in these cases is women only.

So kindly accept that foeticide is done mainly by women and they should be punished accordingly.

Thanks

bhima balla (none)     26 February 2012

This is because:

1) Woman, despite opoortunities and reservations in education and job are lazy.

2) If they were independent, they could take care of any child, be it male or female, on their own.

3) It is too easy to misuse law adnd that has no repercussions either.

4) From the AIWA president herself-she has two daughters and awaiting two WELL SETTLED SON IN LAWS-.

A)Shows her lackadaisical approach in raising her daughters. It is unlikely she wants her daughters to have a job or a career or better and advanced education-since she is counting on  WELL SETTLED SON IN LAWS.

B) If these son in laws don't meet Madam's expectation then of course there is 498a and DV to take care of those matters!

And now the government panel wants to split marriage property. Yes such MIL are the root cause of all evil. I pity her poor Son in laws!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register