Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit Chatterjee (Officer)     28 September 2023

Resigned with very few days notice, but not yet received release letter. what should be my next step

I recently resigned from my position, providing a notice of four days. While HR expressed concern, I assured them that the transition of my duties would not be an issue, given that most of my tasks had already been unethically reassigned over the past year. During this short notice period, I conducted a thorough demonstration of each task on the list (list made by the users) for the benefit of users and other stakeholders, ensuring a seamless knowledge transfer.

Afterwards, I dedicated additional time, particularly with the individual who took over my responsibilities, addressing any challenges he faced in the processes. The department head, Mr. X, sent a confirmation email to my reporting authority, approving the handover process. Everything seemed to be in order.

However, it's now been five days since my departure, and I have not yet received my release or experience letter. Despite reaching out to HR (with a copy to Mr. X) via email, I have not received a response. Upon inquiring, I was informed that a senior person, possibly a Director, is causing a delay in the release. I suspect that there may be internal politics at play, possibly involving Mr. X's department, where my tasks were reassigned, with Mr. X being the main foul player. The reasons behind this can be (a) I raised several true yet unpleasant questions (like taking away my tasks while I was still there) which have made him agitated, (b) given the way I single handedly handled the job since more than a decade, they are very apprehensive about the future, and (c) other reasons not known to me.

In the meantime, I received an email from my reporting authority after my last day, inquiring about my availability and potential support in the future, given the short notice. I have not responded to this email.

Given the circumstances, what should be my next course of action? I of course need the release and experience letter.

Learning

5 Replies

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     28 September 2023

Generally minimum one month is required for the HR to prepare the documentation. So please wait and aside cooperate from your side to the company.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     29 September 2023

If you have observed the notice period fully and was formally relieved by the organisation acknowledging your resignation, then you can be rest assured about it.

You can wait for a rasonable time after which you can resort to legal action by first sending them a legal notice demanding your relieving letter and experience letter besides settlement of F&F dues. 

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     29 September 2023

Wait and watch before initiation of legal proceedings.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     29 September 2023

you have not even inditmated whether you are govt employee.

Amit Chatterjee (Officer)     29 September 2023

No. Its a pvt company.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register