Cooperative housing society (mumbai)

This query is : Resolved 

12 October 2018

Hello all,

I live in a flat in a 35-year old building in Mumbai. The building is old and lacks a bit of maintenance and hence has some leakage issues in one bedroom.

I have replastered the ceiling and walls of the bedroom twice since I bought the flat in 2003 but since the outer walls are not well-maintained, I see leakage every monsoon.

The thing is the society is supposed to repair the outer walls but no one apart from me is willing to contribute money into the endeavor and the society officials say they don't have enough funds to carry on the work on their own.

In this situation, me repairing my bedroom from the inside makes no sense as it will be a waste of money unless the outer walls have been repaired.

I have sent several letters to the society about this but have seen no response.

What can I do from this situation? What kind of legal options do I have from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Isaac Gabriel (Expert)
12 October 2018

It seems the building has outlived its age and therefore, report to the Deputy Registrar for necessary further action.

Dr J C Vashista (Expert)
13 October 2018

Approach Registrar of Cooperative Societies through a local prudent lawyer.

Kishor Mehta (Expert)
14 October 2018

You may additionally approach the Senior Engineer of Building & Factory department of Municipal corporation of Greater Mumbai of your ward. As per the current laws every Society, older than 15 years, is legally bound to get the Society building structurally audited every three years.

Hemant Agarwal (Expert)
09 November 2018

1. FIRSTLY give proper Legal Notice to Society to repair the external walls. On failure by Society, you can file a grievance petition before the local Consumer Court, for relief and damages to your property, for the negligence & deficiency of the Society.

2. The Registrar of Cooperatives, does not have legal jurisdiction on the above, except for persuasive directions to the Society.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :


  LAWyersclubindia Menu