Home > Experts > Constitutional Law > Writ mandamus on cctv cameras in college?

Writ mandamus on cctv cameras in college? (Constitutional Law)

Posted On 30 September 2011 at 23:32

A college Governing Council(deemed Univ.) based on a report of educationist,installs CCTV cameras in campus,class rooms,& connect to internet, to have "academic exllence & discipline.". A girl student was scolded by her parents, for chatting with boys & she is depressed.. Students' forum Association wants to file writ in HC, seeking Writ Mandamus to direct Govrning council of college to remove.
Can it be possible & on what grounds students forum be successful? Can writ stand & under what article they can take shelter or college can restrict privacy of students?
Experts,Please guide. I will be thankful.

Expert : adv. rajeev ( rajoo )

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 06:03

In my opinion it is not a ground for filing a writ in the high court. Her parents may be from traditional family they may not like chatting with boys. It is the duty of the girl to convince her parents. By installing the CC Tv wont solve the problem.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 06:59

The installation of the CCTV is within the premises of the College Campus. There is no privacy issue involved here. The CCTVs have not been installed in any of the private premises belonging to the students. Therefore, as rightly opined by Mr. Rajeev, there exists no ground for obtaining writ of mandamus.
It is not clear how does the parents come to know whether the girl was chatting with boys or not through the CCTV? While it is not a crime or wrong on the part of the girl to chat with the boys in the college, if the parents scold the girl it is for the girl to take up with her parents and tell them that she is not doing anything wrong. In any case, there is nothing for her to get depressed about. Her education should have made her strong to stand up and face such things in life.

Expert : Shailesh Kr. Shah

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 07:07

I agree with opinions of both experts.

Expert : arvind

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 07:22

I do go with my seniors.

Expert : prabhakar singh

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 07:56

Mr.Ramachandran! parents of girls came to know only because the CCTVs are connected with internet also so that educationalist independent valuers may have an opportunity to watch the college campus and class rooms for their evaluation and recommendations.

But i think merely CCTV connected to net with purpose aforesaid,can NOT give birth to any change in circumstances so far as right to writ of students are concerned.
HENCE I STILL SUBSCRIBE YOUR VIEW AS CORRECT.

Expert : raj kumar makkad

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 09:11

I do agree with the views of both experts. There is no merit in the proposed idea of filing in writ. CCTVs are being installed in each and every office and institution to check such things, against which you want to lodge complaint.

Expert : Member (Account Deleted)

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 09:30

writ cannot be filed against individual or private institutions.

Expert : Chanchal Nag Chowdhury

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 10:09

If it is a private college, writ petition will not be maintainable. However, U may file a suit for mandatory injunction for removal of CCTVs.

Expert : Advocate. Arunagiri

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 17:11

Writ can be filed against private institutions if the fundamental rights are violated.

Expert : prabhakar singh

Posted On 01 October 2011 at 20:10

Expert Advocate. Arunagiri! will you kindly
explore if fundamental rights are, here on facts given, violated????????

Posted On 02 October 2011 at 19:42

Dear Sirs,
Thanks for your valuable replies.. That girl students' parents( not trasditional) are beaurocrats... & the college has connected these CCTVs to internet.. Is any individual's privacy infringed? May be the students may think only of this ground,while approaching the courts... If discipline/security (getting compromised) is beyond control then college should not have connected CCTV cams to net & kept a watch themselves than on net.
Please guide.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 02 October 2011 at 20:54

There are no privacies much less individual privacies violated by installation of CCTVs in the instant case. Therefore, there is hardly any case for seeking writ remedy. In any case, no one can stop any one from seeking writ remedy against any perceived violation of ones fundamental right.