Submission of original certificates to employers.

I am surprised to find that most educational institutions in Mumbai are asking for the submission of original certificates by their prospective teachers, which, according to them, will be kept for scrutiny with the management for a period of 10 months to 1 year. I would like to know if there is any law which gives the employees the right to refuse to submit their original documents.

The employer is at liberty to verify the correctness of the Educational qualification by verifying the certificates.But it has become the practice to get the originals so as to prevent the employee from leaving abrubtly or seek employment elsewhere for better pay prospects.Law does not require impounding of the certificate by such seizure.

V R SHROFF (Expert)

This malpractice by Employer need to be stopped. They harass the new recruit, don't pay them, retain certi, demand to work for 12 hrs w/o ot, . The Employee becomes helpless.

Dhingra: 1962dcg@gmail.com (Expert)

Rightly advised by the experts. The employer can get the originals for on the spot verification and return, but not for retention of the certificates.

This amounts to slavery.

×