Criminal case when access to roof is restricted by one owner

07 December 2018

I am living in 4 floor building where i am the owner of one of the 4 floors. Owner of top floor has the roof rights mentioned in the sale deed and basis that he has put a lock on the entrance of top floor. As a result, other owners of the building are deprived of checking/cleaning their water tanks kept on the roof.

I have already complained to Police but police is not helping stating that this is a civil case?

Need help in this matter as to what can be done under which sections of various acts?

Thanks in Advance

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Expert)
07 December 2018

You can send legal notice to the top flat owner. Common spaces cannot be occupied by single person. Show your property documents and plan to good advocate and consult with him.

Kumar Doab (Expert)
07 December 2018

All occupants of other floors that are affected may approach a very able LOCAL counsel specializing in civil matters and the counsel can guide and help for civil recourse.

Rahul (Querist)
08 December 2018

Thanks for ur replies however i am looking for specific replies to my queries

08 December 2018

Roof-right is stated to have been purchased by the owner of 4th floor, it is will and desire of the titleholder/ owner.
How can you enter/ approach his/ her private property without his/her consent ?
There is no question of directing the owner to open/ allow access to roof.

09 December 2018

Normally roof rights are with top floor owner unless barred in agreement.

You have mentioned nothing as to what is provided in agreement.

Still his roof rights are not absolute. He cannot deny access for maintenance of water tanks.

Police is wrong in saying that it is civil matter. It is a case of

(1) undue restain.
(2) deprivation of right to life by depriving you or the opportunity of clean water.

Rahul (Querist)
09 December 2018

Thanks Dr. J C Vashista. I have also mentioned that there a clause mentioned in the sale deed that ''Vendor has restricted the right to do construction above third floor and vendee will allow other flat owners to go to roof for water tank cleaning''. Is this clause have any legality and can be legally enforceable to get the permanent injunction against the third floor flat owner for not doing any construction?

Thanks Mr. Sudhir Kumar. Sale deed heading says sale of ''Third floor with roof rights''

Do you still believe that any suit can be filed against third floor owner for not allowing access to roof for cleaning water tanks? If yes, then whether it will be criminal suit or civil suit?

Rahul (Querist)
09 December 2018

10 December 2018

the deed itself provides for your right to move the top floor for tank maintenance.

×