LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gundala Venkatamahesh   03 December 2019

zero FIR

can I know details of zero FIR .... But there is 166A section about it.....ccan you explain sir...

Learning

3 Replies

Sb Karma   04 December 2019

Originally posted by : Gundala Venkatamahesh
can I know details of zero FIR .... But there is 166A section about it.....ccan you explain sir...

A ‘Zero FIR’ is a document that can be registered by any police station when a complainant approaches them for a cognizable offence, whether the case is in their jurisdiction or not. In the case of the Hyderabad vet, her family alleged that the Shamsabad police delayed the filing of an FIR citing jurisdictional issues.

First understand the FIR, it stands for First Information Report every FIR has serial no, date of occurrence, time of occurrence, place of occurrence, contents of complaint etc. and it is lodged because of commission of cognizable offence (an offence in which police can take suo moto action and no prior approval from court is required ). Every police station has jurisdictional area for which they can take up the investigation if commission of cognizable offence area found under their jurisdiction. Suppose my phone is theft at Bus stand of Lal Quila , Delhi then the police station whose under Lal Quila come will lodge my FIR and investigate it.

but in Zero FIR , any police station can register FIR irrespective of jurisdictional area but the investigation will be taken up the police in which place of occurrence reported in FIR. The police station register the zero FIR marking it serial no. zero and transfer to the competent jurisdictional area which can carry out the investigation.

Take a famous example of Aasaram Bapu Rape case, In the FIR, the place of occurence of offence falls under the jurisdiction of Jodhpur, Rajasthan but the Police Station Kamla Market, Delhi registered the FIR, then transferred it to Jodhpur, for further investigation.Then Jodhpur police taken up the investigation.

The sanctity of legal process remains same in zero FIR. It is very helpful for people as it facilitate them by not allowing to make rounds of different police station for lodging the FIR.

Hope you yesit

3 Like

Gundala Venkatamahesh   06 December 2019

thank u sir

Sb Karma   07 December 2019

Originally posted by : Gundala Venkatamahesh
thank u sir

Always welcome.......its my pleasure to be able to help you(little)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register