LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

G.P.Sharma (Hr)     12 November 2013

Wrongly updated savings bank account holder name

Dear Sirs,


In the year 2012 I opened my salary account with XYZ bank and got check book In fifteen days.

I found my name is wrong in my check book and I ignored that in a view to can correct it later.

Recently I went to bank and explained the story and asked them to correct my name.

Anyhow the baking persons asked me to fill one application form regarding name change and asked me to submit name proof and I submitted my pancard as proof.

After one week I got a call from the  banking officials saying that your request for name change has been rejected as you have done NEFT (national electronic fund transfer). In reality I just got money from my family members and friends through NEFT but I did not transfer any amount of money to anyone. There was incoming of money to my account, no outgoing of money from account and I even not opened my net banking since one year and I just logged into my account after the recent issue.

And I said them updating wrong name in the records Is not my mistake and I asked them to check duly signed  bank account /application form  which is submitted at the time of opening of the account and in where I filled my correct name and enclosed my voter id as proof  and they I agreed to verify my form.

After one week they again called me and said that we updated your name as your name as per your application form. I said them as per my  id proof it is wrong and asked them  update my name same as in my proof and they asked me  to come down to branch with my proof which is submitted at the time of opening of the account.


First thing,  I just singed the form and submitted the proof as bank executive told at time of opening account at my company and did not write anything in the form.  


Second thing about my name:

Let us assume my correct Name:  RAMA LALSHARMA

                                                             First Name: RAMA, Surname: LALSHARMA


On my voter id   : LAL SHARM RAMA    *(spaces can observe in my surname) and it is typing error.   


They updated my name as SHARMA RAMA LAL (They divided my surname into two parts).

On my Pan card it is correctly updated as  : RAMA LALSHARMA

My problem is there is spaces in my Surname in my voter id card as said above and can it be a valid reason for them to cover their mistake. What is the process to change my name in bank records?

 I want your valuable suggestion and guidance to get my savings bank account name corrected.

And let my know further course of action to be done from my end and how can I update my correct in my savings bank account.

Thanks in advance….




 2 Replies

BAALASUBRAMANNYAMM (Advocate)     12 November 2013

On my voter id   : LAL SHARM RAMA 

On my Pan card it is correctly updated as  : RAMA LALSHARMA

Let us assume my correct Name:  RAMA LALSHARMA

They updated my name as SHARMA RAMA LAL

Kindly justify your names as appeared on your Voter card, and pan card. How the bank people have recorded your name, only god knows. Go and rectify either the name appeared on Voter ID or Pan Card. 

1 Like

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     12 November 2013

It is well-known fact that NEFT/RTGS credits are done based on a/c  nos.and not based on a/c name. So the bank cannot find an alibi on NEFT/RTGS credits.

(1) Since this is a salary a/c, please also involve your employer in the matter. The Bank is enjoying a good amount of business in terms of all the salary credits and should listen to the employer. Let the employer write to the Bank that your PAN is ABCDE1111X as per employer's records and that it should be treated as valid ID proof and correct name of yours.


(2) Close the a/c and open a new one under proper name.  

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register