Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

jagdish (Service)     22 June 2008

Workmens Compensation Act (WCA)

Dear Experts,

We all in HR mostly are well versed with ESI Act and the procedure for putting forth claims, but as far as Workmen’s Compensation Act is concerned I don’t know about my friends but at least I know only bits and pieces of it.

Could you all experts please guide me on it. I am more interested in knowing about the procedure for putting forth claims for various benefits available under the act (please it would be excellent if you state the forms to be channeled).

Kindly state the amount of compensations paid under each benefit. I would be privileged if you all could give me the formulas used to calculate the compensation.

Eagerly waiting your expert replies.

Regards,

Jagdish Vasta

Learning

10 Replies

H. S. Thukral (Lawyer)     23 June 2008

Workman is compensated under this Act if an injury is caused to him arising out of and  during the course of employmnet if such injury causes partial or total disablement to the workman. In case of death of the workman in the aforesaid cirucmstances his LR dependent upon him are compensated for the loss. The compensation is calculated on the basis of age/salary/degee of diablement /death. A formula of calculation and schedule has been provided in the Act.  The Act is benevolent  legislation and has a wide scope. A workman dying out of stress is held to have died in the course of employment. Almost all categories of workmen are covered under the Act. It applies to workmen employed in construction activities too. 

As a HR man  you might have to defend a claim instead of filing a cliam before the Commissioner. The employer alongwith insurance company ( if insured) are opposite party.

There is no other benifit under the Act. If the employee /LR s.have availed the benifit under the ESI or the Motor Accident claim he/they can not claim under WCA.    

Guest (n/a)     23 June 2008

Sir,

I want to know  in construction co.if workmen is covered under WCA would it be compulsory to cover under "The Building and other construction workers (Regulation of employment and conditions of service) act, 1996.

The pharase Workman is not covered under the Act is improper. The workman falls under the definition of workman under the act is correct terminology. Whether the construction company is registered or not will make no difference in awarding compensation to an affected workman.

Non registration of a construction company is not eligible to t employ workmen and employment in contravention of registration clause attracts penalty, nevertheless the employer does not escape liability under the WCA if he yields employment.

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     23 June 2008

Is there any limitation period to file claim under WC Act?

yes. Time limit for filing the claim is two years from the date of accident or date of death. the Commissioner has juridiction to entertain the claim beyond limitation period.

Jagdish Vasta (Service)     23 June 2008

How the compensation amount is calculated

Jagdish Vasta

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     24 June 2008

Thank you Harbhajan Ji

H. S. Thukral (Lawyer)     24 June 2008

Attn.  Mr. Jagdish

Compensation will depend upon age/slary/disability/death

For calculation of compensation kindly refer to section 4 of the Act read with schedule to the Act.

Jagdish Vasta (Service)     24 June 2008

Thanks,

Jagdish

ravi (self)     04 November 2012

Death case:-   WagesX50Xage factor                                                                                                                                                                                    __________________    = Compensation                                                                                                                                                            100                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Injury case:- WagesX60Xage factor                                                                                                                                                                                   __________________        = 100% compensation                                                                                                                                                    100                                          

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register