LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arup Chatterjee (Scientist)     25 July 2013

Working wife can demand maintenance?

My wife is working in an MNC and earns a sound salary. Where as I am a student getting Scholarship. Can she demand maintenance from me?


 8 Replies

not as of now (not as of now)     25 July 2013

Yes!, She will demand,

You keep all evidences her income! and show proof that you don't have any income

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     25 July 2013

If you can show that she is working and earning good salary then, she will not get any maintainance.

1 Like

Arup Chatterjee (Scientist)     25 July 2013

How can she be eligible to get maintenance if she is earing enough? about 40000/- a month? Still can she demand? 

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     25 July 2013

Demanding is one thing and getting is another. One can make a demand even when he does not need to, he/she cannot be prevented from 'demanding'. So if the maintainance is indeed demanded then you prove that she 'does not need it'.

ashoksrivastava (scientist)     25 July 2013

Arup any previous job and past earnings?

Arup Chatterjee (Scientist)     25 July 2013

I have experience of doing temporary private jobs but those were less than 17000/- before 3 years and before they started the case.

ashoksrivastava (scientist)     25 July 2013

If you have no kids then no chance of her getting any maint. Regards ASHOK

prakharved (Medical officer)     27 July 2013



Yes, She can demand a maintenance from the huband, but a final maintenance amount is decided by the court, taking into account the details of her past and present employment. There have also been cases where if the woman is better off than her husband, the man has been able to get maintenance for himself too. So you should see if you fit this criteria.


I think you should take advice from an experienced lawyer. You should visit Here you can post your query and a written reply would be provided to you by an experienced lawyer, like in your case your questions about maintenance. You can also avail consultation with a personal lawyer on this matter through It is very essential that you get to know about your options well and for that i think you should take professional help.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads