LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sai (Software Engineer)     17 March 2015

Women supporting her parents after marriage

We are from middle class family, we are only 2 daughters to my parents and my father is small parents struggled a lot for us, because of them only we are in good, proud and earning position now.I recently got married just 11 months back. After marriage I got job with good earnings. Now financially my parents suffering badly with my marriage depts, their health condition also not good and they are worried about my sister's marriage. I want support them financially. My husband also taking careon his parents depts.

 I would like to know is there any law for girl child parents, As married women can support to her parents financially with her earnings or assets. If so please let me know all details…


 6 Replies

Sonia Saini (advocate)     17 March 2015

You are the sole owner of your earnings and property ... You can help your parents out of your earnings.

Geetha Gupta (Director)     17 March 2015

What if the woman is a housewife? How will such a woman be able to look after her parents?

Born Fighter (xxx)     17 March 2015

Wife can spend her salary the way she wants, however the husband cant do the same and has to maintain his wife and kids out of his earnings. 

Did you not inform your husband that you would support your parents financially even after marriage ?  

Is he simply objecting because of financial constraints or for any other reason ??

You should have ONLY got married to such a man who would support you in this aspect. It seems evident that your husband has issues  & now you want legal opinion. This will create conflicts and then grounds for trouble in marriage.  People get married by taking the other partner for granted by not discussing important expectations out of marriage and then later going legal to fulfill their demands.



Jatin Mittal (Corporate Lawyer)     17 March 2015

Hii. I appreciate that you are willing to help your parents. As such, nothing under law can stop you from doing anything with the money you have earned yourself. Even your husband does not have any right to abstain you from spending your earning on your parents. So just go ahead without any doubts in mind. For any further clarification you can write me on I do not charge anything. Thanks!


One word "adjustment".  Thats all.  Dont want to adjust, nothing can save the marriage.  All the best in taking care of respective parents.

SuperHero (Manager)     17 March 2015

In Indian tradition generally most Men think Wife is husband’s property. First communicate with your husband that you need to support your parents and how much you want to support for e.g. 50% or 25%. And how many years.

The remaining salary will be spent for our family (You and Your Husband such as Rent, Utilities and Groceries) any investments made for future. This statement will show you are giving respect to him and also making him aware that you are contributing to our family too.

The reason is they are not in good health and also made lot of debt for marriage.

The moment when you say it is my Salary I will spend however I like and take legal route and so on, you are inviting trouble to your marital life and to your parents too. Then you are separating yourself from him.

Remember your parents have a duty to your sister to get married.

Now a day’s spending huge money on marriage by taking debt and later on wanted to help parents and taking granted thinking spouse will help.

It would have been nice if you have explained your situation to your husband before marriage and got married in a simple way and saved the debt.

Financial discipline is very important in one’s life.


Agree with Born Fighter and Helping Hand!!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads