LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raja Mittal (Asst. Professor)     20 January 2012

Withrawl of degree by institute

Dear Sir

A student has completed B.Tech Degree from IIIT Allahabad in 2008. In 2010 he appeared before an inquiry commitee constituted by MHRD against IIIT Allahabad regarding investigation about irregularities about IIIT Allahabad. Now dean student affair of IIIT Allahabd issued a show cause notice to the student "Why should your B.Tech degree not be cancelled\ withdrawled". This happens because institute said that the student appear before the commitee and violate the rules by complaining against the director.

Is this legal to cancel the awarded degree?

What action can be taken by the student?

Can student file an FIR for threating him?


 2 Replies

Kanaksinh P.Boda (Educationist/Lawyer)     20 January 2012

No degree can be withdrawn like that. Take a reason in wrting and take up the matter with UGC.

tarun (Advocate)     20 January 2012

The degree once granted cannot be easily cancelled by any body. It should be done only by that  body   which has issued it and such strict action can only be taken affording an opportunity of hearing followed by passing a well reasoned order or speaking order mentioning all circumstances which lead to the decision. 


The matter doesnot seems to be common one as a inquiry was conducted by ministery as per your version agisnt such an reputed institution . It implies that its not only about your complaint. The issue seems to much more important as been projected by you. 


before taking any action , you must procure all the relevent information about the agenda of inquiry done and must have all necessary documents ready for filing a writ petition in HC concnered. You may obtain a relevent inforamation under Right to Information Act.

Finally consult a Expert /Advocate and proceed further.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query