Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chowdary Rushinakshatra   17 June 2020

Withdrawing money from dead person's account

Dear sir,
My wife who looksafter my family was died recently. As am an unemployee I withdrawed money using her ATM for funeral and other related expenditure. I came to know withdrawing money from dead person's account is illegal. I am the only nominee in such account I withdrawed money from ATM. I have two minor children.

Now what I have to do to rectify this problem? After getting death certificate or before do I need to redeposit the money or what else the process?

plz do help me sir.

Learning

5 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 June 2020

Withdrawing the money was not proper - a mistake, not a mischief. It is unlikely that Bank would take serious note.

Chowdary Rushinakshatra   17 June 2020

ok sir, the account consist of very little amount of money..
If I did not inform the bank, never use that account and nobody complaints regarding the same to the bank what will happen?

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     18 June 2020

Inform the Bank qua death of account holder (with death certificate) and withdraw the amount available therein the account, in the capacity of nominee. 

Chowdary Rushinakshatra   18 June 2020

Thank you for your reply sir.. I will do according to your suggesion sir, but I already taken some amount unknowingly.. So are there any chances from the bank side to take legal actions against me.. Am afraiding regarding that sir. Plz do reply me sir

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 June 2020

If the amount in her account is not substantial, forget operations or contact with the Bank.   The account automatically gets closed if there is no balance.  You have done a mistake and irrespective of the good cause a mistake is always a mistake, forget it and do not get things complicated by over worry.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register