Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Seshigirir Rao   23 April 2023

Withdrawing and operating the my father's deceased bank account.

My father passed away 2 years ago. I have closed the almost all bank account as per procedure. But there is one bank account.my mother cannot go to bank nor operate.can I operate the bank account.even if I open new bank account on her name I would have to operate it.what is the best course of action.can Authorization letter be used.

Can I deposit let cash or  as per requirement in my account.

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 April 2023

You cannot operate a third party 's bank account even if it is your own mother's account.

There's no provision in law to get an authorisation to operate her bank account.

You can instead convert it into jointly operated account after which you don't require permission from anyone to operate this account.

Seshigirir Rao   23 April 2023

Sir if you remember I asked you on kaanoon  dot com.the same question so you said I cannot operate a  bank account where the person who is alive.ok then what about deseases person account. I am trying to seek legal help.my mother cannot walk and we need money to pay bills.i also informed you of the pan account issue you said not to work. So  I am little not sure of the advice.

P. Venu (Advocate)     24 April 2023

Yes, you can get the father's name deleted from the account (if not already done) and convert it into joint account with your name (of course, with the consent of the mother). 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     24 April 2023

Did you contact Manager of Bank where the account is existing ?

There is no point in searching /roaming different sites for obligation of legal experts.

Siddhi   24 April 2023

Why you can't open joint account with mother and then transfer the money in old account in the new account?

Seshigirir Rao   24 April 2023

starting with Dr J C Vashista question I have spoken to the bank managre I have the claim form. for all purposes I have Informed the bank and have informed my elder brother as well. He has no issues.As there is no source of income right now the bank saving is all right now.

To advocate siddhi question.Opening the joint account I am having problem with my PAN card.it says pan is active but not as per the pan details. I have raised issue with the income Tax online.this might take some time...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register