LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Srinivas (IT Architect)     25 June 2011

Wife's name change post marriage - Valid Documents

Dear Law Experts,

My wife got her maiden name changed to my surname post our marriage. I would like to validate if the list of below documents would hold good from legal perspective to confirm this change.

1. Marriage certificate issued by Sub-Registrar Office, Bangalore. (Wifes name is mentioned as Old Name here as we got this doen immediately after our wedding)

2. Notarised Affidavit, declaring name change for my wife. Old Name to New Name

3. Indian Passport issued with the new Name for my wife.

4. News paper ad on name change ( Local & National)

Please advice, if anything else needs to be obtained from a legal perspective

Thanking your time and inputs in advance.

-Srinivas, Bangalore

 8 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     25 June 2011

Declaration by the wife is sufficient to add surname after marriage.The proof could be the marriage invitation or the certificate of marriage.
1 Like

Abhishek Marvi (ADVOCATE)     27 June 2011

you may also publish to state goverment gazzet 

1 Like

Arati Gawde ( Legal )     28 June 2011

Yes, publication of name in state government gazzet is require.

1 Like

Srinivas (IT Architect)     29 June 2011

Thanks for your resposne. Could you please let me know the process to publish the name change of my wife- post marriage , in state government gazette ?

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     29 June 2011

Visit Tamilnadu Government website,click download forms,where you can find the name change form.

Srinivas (IT Architect)     29 June 2011


Thanks. Could you please advice the process in Karnataka, as I'm a resident here.


P V Namjoshi (     21 July 2011

Writ letter to the publishers and they will let you know about charges and send them accordingly. 

Mallishi Kadlimati   05 August 2015

Dear Law Experts

I wanted to know the procedure to change the name of my wife.

I m a domicile of Goa state and all my documents Passport ,driving license, Adhaar card, voters card, bears Goan residencial address. Since last 4 years im residing in mumbai (working) and have bought property in mumbai. 

Recently i got married in Karnataka (Girl is from Karnataka state) and got marriage registered in the same state. Now i want put my Name after my wife's name, i want to know the legal procedures to do that.!

There are 3 states involved for me;

1. Goa (Domicile)

2. Maharastra (Presently residing)

3. Karnataka (My wife's is from and my marriage registration done here)

What should i do and which state to follow.

Kind regards

Kindly give the valuable inputs

Malleshi Kadlimati




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query