Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shikharrrrr (Job less)     17 August 2010

Wife has Epilipsy, Now with Parents

Dear Seniors,

I am Hindu boy married to a girl from Sikh Community for 1 year 4 months.

Ours is a small and happy family but since marriage our life is in a mess. My in laws took loans on my wife's credit cards before marriage and not cleared those yet. Due to which she keeps getting phonecalls and reminder email. All this creates a lot of pressure on her leading to a series of epilyptic attacks (While asleep). We were not aware of her Epilipsy before marriage.

Post marriage we started her treatment from Ram Manohar lohia, Pratap Homeopathy & Ganga Ram Hospital

Things worsened when we got to know that they all have cheated on us by hiding my wife's situation.
This lead to a series of heated arguments and quarrels leading to police complaints. My inlawas used to come to my house and often shouted on us to which we reacted equally.

Now last month my wife had an attack in the afternoon and she was fully awake. She was in office, so people called up several numbers from her cellphone. My dad and one of my wife's uncle went there to bring her home safely. Then her paternal uncle called up to talk to her but she dindn't answer and my mother had to answer the call where both (my mother & my wife's uncle) agreed that they will come the next morning to take her to the doctor from whom she was getting treatment before marriage.

We were Ok with it as that Doctor would understand her condition better and all what we wanted was her well being.

But the same night she got 4 serial attacks on which I called up her paternal uncle as I was frightened. They came at 03:30 in the morning to take her to her parents. She got admitted in the local hospital for 2 days after which they took her along with them as all the members in our family are working and my wife in present situation needs a 24 hour attendant.

Things have changed since then. My wife has started to sing on my in laws tone and when my mother asked her to tell her parents to clear all the dues and get rid of your worries then they have made the issue of this.

Now she has left her job and she is a parttime MBA HR. I can sence that we were foxed and they might very soon go for a divorce.

1. If we /they go for a divoce plea, can they ask for an Alimony?

2. How much would that alimony be?

3.Can we get rid of this relation by putting her Epilipsy and their cheating as a reason.

Please reply urgently.

Thanks,

Ankur

Learning

8 Replies

Unbiased Advice (Advocate)     17 August 2010

Mr.Chadha your story is not at all convincing because Epilepsy cannot be precipitated because of Stress or Tension of credit card bills, This is disorder of Neuro Transmitters and this can be precipitated on normal circumstances also.

Thus you stand on Divorce under this ground cannot be entertained!

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     17 August 2010

Epilepsy is a neurological disturbance caused by irritation in the brain and can be cured completely. Latest example of Famous Tenice Player Leander Pace, who suffered due to egg of tinea worm got calcified in the brain. Analogus to elctrical disturbance. It is not a psychiatric disorder.

(Guest)

u can contact an expert matri lawyer in person. if your lawyer needs any other/ exprt advice u can pm me

(Guest)

Just a que. suppose "if In Laws situation have been better before marriage (means no loans etc.) and wife was also in pink of health and post marriage down the couples ageing if she would have got epilepsy then how you would have handled the situation ?"

I asked this que. because I can understand the finance part (it may not be liabaility of Son in law if he does not wish to post marriage) but if wife's previous doc. is known to you all then what is so damn difficult to take her to her own doc. and get here treated with love and affection and simultaneously if past is all right (in a asked situation) afterwards if suppose it happens then is it not the duty of husband and in his family to take responsibility of shared hospital attendence ?  I mean c'mon we don't leave a wife just like that in civilised society !

You may get rid of her that is besides the point but if wife needs medical then it is duty of husband and epilepsy as rightly pointed by Jaiswal is curable and is not like HIV / AIDS for god sake.

Concerning pending loan and its repayment one can if think cooly can kill two birds with one stone that is to offer inlaws a very long term loan from your family pooling so that your wife performs normally (minus epileptic attacks) and no more reminders (tel. calls and emails) and anyhow your wife was working so whatever she earned could have got into your kitty as her family's immediate loan repayment which you folks helped them with but all these if both families would have sat together and discussed the issues out and arrive at amicable settlement within two families. Now believe me the end package (settlement via court) is going to come out roughly the same with a divorce suit from wither side and or even if no divorce suit but with DV / S. 125 CrPC / 498a so see calmly still things could be reasoned out and end will be still better if handled patiently as long term systemetic investment plan (SIP).

You may get angry with my advise but think calmly what I am actually suggesting. Choice is all yours how and when you can make a better call because epilepsy is still treatable auto neuro disease.

Shikharrrrr (Job less)     31 August 2010

Dear All,

Thaks for your replies.

I had a great long discussion with my wife on the same and she says that she will not leave her parents and the loan will be paid by them only as thay have taken the loan and because thay don't have the money to repay the say same so it will take some time.

Till then she will remain with her parents and will not come back.

She also agreed that she lied and hidden many important things before and after marriage. She doesn't feel sorry for the same and she keeps asking for money from me.

I have refused any kind of money transactions till the time she comes up with a decission on our married life.

She is singing on her parents tone. For the past 40 days nobody from her parents side has contacted us.

Will they file a divorce and ask for alimony? B'coz the other day my wife agreed that her parents wants her to come back and file an alimony.

She has quit her job this month. Will she be eligible to ask for alimony?

If they file alimony how can i safeguard my earnings?

Can I fight annulment of marriage on the cheating ground ?

I am very stressed out as I am not able to see the road ahead. Please guide how to proceed...

Thanks

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     31 August 2010

"She doesn't feel sorry for the same and she keeps asking for money from me"

here lies the problem'. you are not bound to repay your inlaw's loan.

pray rcr at dist court or family court of your area, with the above details.

are she dependent on you? - if so stop paying her till she returns.

are she working? - if so she has the right to pay her parent's loan.

'She also agreed that she lied and hidden many important things ' -  she will change it at court. keep ready your witness and evidence.

1. If we /they go for a divoce plea, can they ask for an Alimony? - SURE, they will ask for alimony.

2. How much would that alimony be? it depends upon the court.

3.Can we get rid of this relation by putting her Epilipsy and their cheating as a reason.  - Pray under sec 12 of Hma. relief expected.

Shikharrrrr (Job less)     01 September 2010

Shall I wait for them to take an action or I register a Case ?

Will there asking alimony when my wife was working till last month. She left the job on her own and she is equally educated as I am.

Am I required to pay the Alimony if she decides not to work in future? I can also stop working.

Can they file a 498/125. How will they fake the charges ? My neighbours knows the situation so will my neighbours play a role it anything worsens?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register