Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Why women and not their clients booked for prostitution?

It has seen that when ever police conducted raids for prostitution racket which busted every few days. The women and their pimps get arrested but their clients are free to go. There is very rise of this events especially in the metros. If the police also booked their clients the there is sharp fall of this social menace

Learning

7 Replies

Dipangkar (Business)     14 July 2011

Originally posted by :Anonymous
"
It has seen that when ever police conducted raids for prostitution racket which busted every few days. The women and their pimps get arrested but their clients are free to go. There is very rise of this events especially in the metros. If the police also booked their clients the there is sharp fall of this social menace
"

Tons of Indian Laws are a collection of Bullsh*ts.

The answer to your query is so... because Indian Laws does consider the Trade of Prostitution as Legal, only a Prostitute has to pay for her trade

If she Doesn't pay the Govt. it is a crime, and if she pay the Govt. then it's a Licence.

Now, how can the Law condemn / arrest a customer for "buying" from a "Legal" Trader ? :)

They often arrests "the  women and their pimps " only to enquire about those Licences.

The Clints are "free to go" for, to enquire whether the women has a Licence or Not, is not the lookout of customers while going foward to "buy" their "sales".  :)

(Guest)

Prositution shops will automatically shut down when there is absence of customers. Customers should be punished.

Dipangkar (Business)     14 July 2011

Originally posted by :shally karloopia
"
Prositution shops will automatically shut down when there is absence of customers. Customers should be punished.
"

I am afraid, the Law may not be able to Punish the customers. At least not on this system of the current law.

As i said in the above post, How can the law Punish a customer for "Buying" the "sale" from a Trader... to whom the Law itself Authorized with a Licence to run the said Trade ??

To do so, the whole system of Laws has to be changed.

Why ?

In India, Rules & Laws that makes the Hindu Law are flowing down from ancient days... from the days of Sagas, kings, mythological characters of Gods etc. 

Prositution is considered as a Trade since Ancient times. The Ancient Book by Vatsyayana "KAMASUTRA" itself has a full chapter where it is considering Prositution as a Trade.

So, i think, it may NOT be possible in the current Hindu Law... to change ancient traditional views so easily.

(Guest)

I do agree with Dipangar eaplanation as If the shopkeeper sell the good without cash memo then law punish the shopkepper not the customer as he has no choice except to purchase the commodity. Similarly pirated movies/cd the seller will be punished not the customer. I think the same principle may apply there Becuase its may be the physiological need of the customer which may have explanatory grounds which the law even don't stop him to do so while it is not the pYsiological need of the seller except the money which the current status of law don't allow them to do so

1 Like

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     14 July 2011

Why punish customers?

Can you punish someone who uses cigarette or should you ban cigarette manufacturer?? It's common sense yaar. When you don't have tobacco  you can't have cancer patients (due to tobacco). Isn't it?

1 Like

Sandeep Aggarwal (Advocate)     20 July 2011

Dear. Customers are also arrested in prostitute case. How u can say that they r not arrested. Read S.I.T.Act. 

Dipangkar (Business)     21 July 2011

Originally posted by :Sandeep Aggarwal
"
Dear. Customers are also arrested in prostitute case. How u can say that they r not arrested. Read S.I.T.Act. 
"

@ Dear Advocate Sandeep Aggarwal,  S.I.T. Act is a thing of the past. Now it's P.I.T. Act that governs the rules of Prostitutions.

Quoting :Wikipedia (Prostitution In INDIA   

Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act - PITA

The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act or PITA is a 1986 amendment of legislation passed in 1956 as a result of the signing by India of the United Nations' declaration in 1950 in New York on the suppression of trafficking.The act, then called the All India Suppression of Immoral Traffic Act (SITA), was amended to the current law. The laws were intended as a means of limiting and eventually abolishing prostitution in India by gradually criminalizing various aspects of s*x work. The main points of the PITA are as follows:

Sex Workers: A prostitute who seduces or solicits shall be prosecuted. Similarly, call girls can not publish phone numbers to the public. (imprisonment up to 6 months with fine, point 8)
Sex worker also punished for prostitution near any public place or notified area. (Imprisonment of up to 3 months with fine, point 7)

Clients: A client is guilty of consorting with prostitutes and can be charged if he engages in s*x acts with a s*x worker within 200 yards of a public place or "notified area". (Imprisonment of up to 3 months, point 7) The client may also be punished if the s*x worker is below 18 years of age. (From 7 to 10 years of imprisonment, whether with a child or a minor, point 7)

Pimps and Babus: Babus or pimps or live-in lovers who live off a prostitute's earnings are guilty of a crime. Any adult male living with a prostitute is assumed to be guilty unless he can prove otherwise. (Imprisonment of up to 2 years with fine, point 4)

Brothel: Landlords and brothel-keepers can be prosecuted, maintaining a brothel is illegal. (From 1 to 3 years imprisonment with fine for first offence, point 3) Detaining someone at a brothel for the purpose of s*xual exploitation can lead to prosecution. (Imprisonment of more than 7 years, point 6)

Procuring and trafficking: A person procures or attempts to procure anybody is liable to be punished. Also a person who moves a person from one place to another, (human trafficking), can be prosecuted similarly. (From 3 to 7 years imprisonment with fine, point 5)

Rescued Women: The government is legally obligated to provide rescue and rehabilitation in a "protective home" for any s*x worker requesting assistance. (Point 21)

Public place in context of this law includes places of public religious worship, educational institutions, hostels, hospitals etc. A "notified area" is a place which is declared to be "prostitution-free" by the state government under the PITA. Brothel in context of this law, is a place which has two or more s*x workers (2a). Prostitution itself is not an offence under this law, but soliciting, brothels and pimps are illegal.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register