LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ms_Roz   23 June 2022

Who can remove police officer from his job

if the police (of rank senior police in charge of the police station) had given false information to the press and media house about the particular citizen (he is having disputes with) alleging "he and his family member being previously booked in a riot by him "  and then the citizen if decided to prosecute the said police officer of rank senior police in charge. then who has the power to remove such police officers and whose sanction is required to prosecute police in a criminal proceeding.


short question.

who has the power of removal of police ?


 7 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     23 June 2022

What is your problem? A citizen if decided, why? If a citizen file a case against any officer that citizen must prove the allegation. If not proved how can action be taken?

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     23 June 2022

File a RTI on the relevant FIR. If it is lie, file defamation suit against him. Get information on what capacity he gave the statement, else make State a party too. Create situation so that disciplinary enquiry starts against the OC, automatically his job will be at stake!

1 Like

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     24 June 2022

Seek permission of the appointing authority of the deliquent police officer to prosecute him / her under section 197 Cr PC and proceed through  a local prudent lawyer.

P. Venu (Advocate)     24 June 2022

Filing a civil suit requires no permission or sanction!

Ms_Roz   24 June 2022

Sir P Venu. Its Criminal defamation complaint against Police officer rank of Senolior police incharge of police station for providing false information to media against the person he had problem with


Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     25 June 2022

Compensation for damages of reputation, image and dignity can be claimed in a (civil) suit without seeking permission of higher officers of deliquent police personnel (irrespective of his/ her rank and status in the organisation) as opined and advised by senior expert Mr. P Venu, which I endorse and appreciate.

1 Like

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     27 June 2022

One can file a defamation case under IPC-499 / 500  against anybody, even a police officer. The court will decide what punishment should be given. Under IPC-500 it can be simple imprisonment for 2 years. During the pendency of the case the police officer can give more trouble. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query