Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rafiq Jabbar Mulla (Web Developer)     10 December 2012

When an accused shall be discharged from a case of 498a?

When an accused shall be discharged from a case of 498A?

The Case: My wife has filed 498A suit against my family of (Myself Father, Mother, Sister & her husband, and my brother who stays ABROAD)

Scenario: I do have the copy of my brother's Passport duly signed by the Embassy Abroad, showing travel records that he has not been in India during the period wherein my wife has accused of harassment.

Question: Last week, I did file an Application for Discharge of the accused (my brother) with the JMFC Court of my city. The judge says that it is necessary that the accused who is staying abroad BE PRESENT here while the Discharge Application is heard.

Now my question is...

1) As per the application filed under section 239 Cr.Pc for discharge of accused whether his presence is required before Court?

2) Whether the said Discharge Application u/s 239Cr.Pc for discharge of accused by heard by the Judge in his absence?

3) Whether the accused residing abroad has to present the said application in person to discharge himself?

Kindly quote the relevant/specific law and provisions of the Act. I want my brother's name to be removed from the case.

-Student-

Learning

8 Replies

Goutam Prasad (Advocate)     10 December 2012

If the said accused, i.e. your brother has never appeared in court, then court may insist on his personal presence at least for once. But, there is provision of law to make such application through power of attorney. 

In case it is difficult to come here in India, he can appoint any one in India as power of attorney to file such application and be present during hearing of application.

https://www.aegisjurist.com

https://www.facebook.com/aegisjurist

Rashid Ali (own practice as a criminal lawyer)     10 December 2012

with my little knowledge power of attorney is used  in the cases of civil matters not in criminal cases.

Munirathnam (Scientist)     17 December 2012

Discharge petition could be filed through your advocate..... you physical presence is not required uless court ask for.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 December 2012

But here the court has asked for physicla presence.

Further it is not necessary that acccused must be in India for demanding dowry or abetting the same.  Mere fact of being abroad is no proof of innosence.

Rashid Ali (own practice as a criminal lawyer)     23 December 2012

please specify the role of your brother in FIR then i will tell something about quashing.

Rafiq Jabbar Mulla (Web Developer)     24 December 2012

Here is the list of names (of accused) in the way/order it is furnished in the FIR and in the chargesheet:

1. Me
2. Father
3. Mother
4. Sister
5. Brother
6. Brother-in-Law

What does it mean by role Sir? Kindly brief the question, so that I could answer in particular.
Thank you very much

-Student-

Munirathnam (Scientist)     24 December 2012

What is written against your family members in the complaint of your wife..... on that basis the learned people will advice you properly.

Rashid Ali (own practice as a criminal lawyer)     24 December 2012

please send scanned copy of fir to find the role of accuseds then we will advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register