Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Learning

20 Replies

Sanjay Yadav (Law Student )     25 May 2009

I believe it should be 18 years

Vijay Kumar (Advocate)     25 May 2009

I do no think that there exists any legal prescription in this regard.

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     27 May 2009

I presume bars are not allowed to serve alchohol to minors. Even selling alchohol to minors may be an offence. Your specific question is what is the legal age to drink alchohol in India - I think there is no legal age as such to drink alchohol in India. No law prohibits minors from drinking alchohol. It is only when a drunk person comes in conflict with law, his drunkenness is in issue. I may be wrong. 

CS Pooja (Company Secretary)     27 May 2009

There is no age limit expressly provided in the law for having alcohol, but there are strict laws for minors in other countries too like:

It is considered as an offence for a licensee to allow minors to supply liquor.

The only exception that would allow a minor to supply liquor on licensed premises is:

• If they were engaged in a training program that has been approved by the Director of Liquor Licensing and are abiding by any conditions set down by the Director.

These conditions would certainly provide that the minor be under direct supervision when serving liquor.

Deliveries: A minor can be employed to deliver packaged liquor to a person of or over 18 years of age for consumption off the licensed premises.

Also, in India, some areas in the city are marked as "dry areas" that ban the selling/ buying of liquor in that area (which is generally an area where educational institutions are there)

Hence, it can be concluded that minors are not eligible to have liquor.

Siddharth Mehta (Student)     21 June 2010

TO all the experts

who made u advocate..d legal age of drinking is 25 years in India...

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     21 June 2010

Mr sidharth You should not comment like this. You r a student so behave like a student. I think in Indian law the age to drink alcohol no where described.

Siddharth Mehta (Student)     22 June 2010

mr ravikant soni go and checkup the legal age of drinking is 25 years.....dats d way im supposed to react wen i see such answers in the forum

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     23 June 2010

Mr Student,

Siddharth Mehata

If you have any source of knowledge then describe it.

Anmol Sharma (advocate)     23 June 2010

mind your manners, Mr Siddharth Mehta, you are being arrogant..

donot act as if you know everything and rest as fools

Dharmesh Manjeshwar (Advocate/Lawyer)     23 June 2010

There is no prescribed legal age for drinking alcohol .... But the legal minimum age to purchase liquor ranges from 18 years in some state to 25 years in others. Delhi has minimum age limit of 25 years.

Mr. Student .... Siddharth Mehta .... this is Lawyersclubindia .... instead of acting funny you should have provided concrete proof to what u've said ...... if u cannot then shut up and don't be adamant about ur answer ....

Siddharth Mehta (Student)     23 June 2010

@above experts

my answer was far better than vijay kumar and rajan salvi....

My rajan salvi even being a lawyer goes to the extent of saying dat dre is no law forbidding minors to  drink...

@mr dharmesh manjeshwar

i believe d  answer u provided is correct and dis shud have been provided by our above experts....

Im a law student bt d above experts are established lawyers and how can dey make such mistakes or provide duch vague answers...

And btw noone can tell me to shut up and dose who do shud betr mind their own business...

(Guest)

I appreciate Mr.Siddharth Mehta for his boldness in expressing his views on the topic. But he is still silent in not revealing the authentic source that 25 years is the minimum age for consuming alchohol in our land. I hope what he said is not gibberish.

@Mr Rao thnx a lot what source do u want??if u hv read my previous post u wud hav realised dat i agree with mr dharmesh ..d legal age varies from 18 to 25 in India...how do u justify the vague answers provided by odr ppl in dis thread...mr rajan salvi says dre is no legal age..I would like to ask Mr rajan salvi and  vijay kumar

can a 10 year old child drink in india??if dre is no min legal age acc to dem..deneveryone even a toddler is allowed to consume alcohol????

think about it...waiting for a reply...

regards

sid

some ppl in dis community can't even spell correctly but can argue very well

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register