Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

koustubh bhide   18 June 2022

what is the jurisdiction for registration of power of attorney?

what is the jurisdiction for registration of power of attorney?
can a person register POA where his property is situated? or it is compulsorily register at the place where principal resides? pls advice experts . thanks in adance

Learning

4 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     18 June 2022

Jurisdiction to register power of attorney lies where principal resides or carries business.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     18 June 2022

Hello,

As per my opinion, the jurisdiction for the registration of power of attorney is where the property is situated or where the power attorney executor resides. 

Sravika Reddy Kohir   18 June 2022

Hello Koustubh Bide, I acknowledge your question. Under the Indian Registration Act, registration of a general power of attorney is not mandatory but it is highly recommended to get the POA notarised in the presence of 2 witnesses. It is important to get a power of attorney registered. Depending on its type, a power of attorney can fall under section 17 or section 18 of the Registration Act of 1908. However, if the purpose of creating the POA involves an immovable property, it is compulsory to get the Power of Attorney registered with the office of Sub-Registrar which has the jurisdiction over the area where the principal resides as per section 33 of the Registration Act of 1908.

I hope I have answered your question.

Have a good day.

bhaswati konar   18 May 2023

What if the person wanting to give POA who is bedridden and illand now residing for recovery other than her residence 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register