FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

GOVINDAN RAMAMURTHY (Service)     18 September 2021

What is the criteria for contesting co-op housing society election if the name is not there in share certificate

Dear Sir,
I am aware of the fact regarding the rights of Associate Member.

In a Co-op. Housing Society, the flat is in the name of wife. But her husband wanted to become an Associate Member. Can he become an Associate Member by filling the appropriate Form and paying Rs.100/- such that he would like to contest the Housing Society Election. Please kindly advise me the procedure to become an Associate Member and to contest election even though the name of husband is not in Share Certificate.


 2 Replies

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate and Legal Consultant)     19 September 2021

Elections of Managing Committee members can be contested by members only. An associate member has no right to contest to be member of MC in terms of provisions in any of the State Cooperative Societies Act or Rules in India.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     19 September 2021

If the wife agrees to include his name on the share certificate then he can file the necessary form to become an associate member and participate in elections. This is as per the latest amendment in the Maharashtra Co-operative society Bye-laws.
2 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query