IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JAGANNATH RAO PARINAM (Finance and Investment consultant)     14 March 2018

Water charges thre times of normal bill

I got new water connection for my house from HMWSSB,HYD in Feb18 for supply of drinking water.But HMWSSB,is saying that they will charge three times monthly bill if we don't have Occupation Certificate for the house.There are many houses in other Areas of the city which does not have Occupation Certificates for their houses but HMWSSB is charging only single rate for monthly bills.This is unfare treatment with our colony houses.Can we residents of our colony go to the court to get stay order against GMWSSB.


 3 Replies


Dear Sir/Madam,

Since your case is complicated case as such I require documents and same may be send to my email for detailed legal advise.


With regards,

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar



There is a slight discrepancy in your statements. You mention that you obtained a new water connection from HMWSSB. However, you contradict your statement by saying that you wish to obtain a stay order against GMWSSB. As these statements contradict each other, please first clarify whether you are referring to the Gauhati or Hyderabad Municipal Water Supply & Sewerage Board.

Coming to the relevant part of your query, assuming you live in Hyderabad, Rule 26(a) of Andhra Pradesh Building Rules, 2012 mandatorily compels an owner to produce an OC to justify that he is legally residing in the building, Depending upon which part of Hyderabad you reside in, you may need to file for an occupancy certificate application.witth the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation or other relevant corporation within whose territorial jurisdiction you reside in. Whether other houses have the OC or not is wholly irrelevant. You must produce the OC as compliance, if you want an affordable bill at the end of the day.

Once you obtain the OC, please be sure to enter your DPMS File No. Your file details will be displayed & you must save and continue. Press the 'Select document' tab & after attaching all relevant documents (completion notice, building pictures etc), submit the form. The file no will be generated & sent to your registered cell no in OTP format. Pay all process fees. After approval, your OC will be sent to you & you can download it via e-mail or login format. This is only if you are living within GHMC's territorial jurisdiction.

Once you obtain the OC, you can present it before the HMWSSB.Until you obtain it, keep a printout of your application as proof that you have applied for the OC.

It is advisable you follow the procedure based on where you live, as approaching the court for an equitable relief may prove costly & time-consuming process.

For further queries, you may contact at: basu_kunal@hotmail.com. I shall be more than obliged to guide you through the legal procedure.

Thanks & regards

Advocate Kaybee

Raazkumar.com (Self employed)     18 July 2020

I am.also having same problem Nov 2018 to July 2020, got 25,000 bill, 3x bill and 24% interest rate. as per hmwssb sewerage act if payment not done, they cut the connection, as per rera 2017 no need for occupancy certificate for below 500sqm houses, apartments must. occupancy certificate responsibility by builder to save consumer. what's my solution. (one of hmwssb gdm said they have a right to take our furniture)how much lawyer fee to fight with hmwssb. They also have a legal cell can I contact them

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query