IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav Jain   22 March 2023

Water charges in maharashtra cooperative housing society

Hi All, 

This is regarding water charges levied by my society from last 7 years. Ny society is taking same maintenance charge from every flat as most of the flat irrespective of size have 2 bathrooms. Only my flat (out of 25) has one bathroom. When I raised the concern that water charges should be based on number of inlets, I am told that for only one flat all these calculations will not be done. I need your advice if I have the authority to challenge this and if yes how can I do that. 


Thanks for your help. 


 2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 March 2023

You have to raise this issue before the next annual or special meeting of the society and vent out your grievancs, if the meeting adopts a resolution to amend this as per your desire, you can get the relief, or else you may have to endure it because no legal action is maintainable in this regard if majority members do not support your cause. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     22 March 2023

Are you in Maharashtr a?  Under Byelaw No.67(ii) of the Model Byelaws of Maharashtra: Water Charges are on the basis of total number and size of inlets provided in each flat. I think that it should read outlets and not inlets. General Body has no powers to decide this matter.. You can make representations to the Managing Committee. If you do not get relief you can complain to the Assistant Registrar of your ward. Most likely you will get no relief. You will have to go to the co-operative court.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query