Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sagar (executive)     27 December 2012

Want to do court marriage in delhi

I am 24 years old and my girlfriend is 28 yrs we want to get married quickly please suggest us she stays in delhi and i stay in mumbai her parents are not ready for our marriage we are convincing them from last 1 year but all in vain now we have decided to get married in delhi whom shall we approach? what documents are required? can we get married in 1 day and get marriage certificate? Please help i want lawyer contact number who are in delhi and deal with such cases.


 3 Replies

ABHISHEK KUMAR VATSA (Freelancer)     28 December 2012

hi sagar


A court marriage is solemnized before the marriage officer/registrar, usually D.C., Deputy Commissioner of the area (Sub registrar/SDM is the marriage officer/registrar only in case when marriage is already solemnized under any other Act and it has to be registered) where both or any of the parties to such a marriage reside permanently or for at least one month. Cost of such a marriage is merely Rs90/- or this fee is subject to vary according to states.


Both the parties to the marriage file a joint application before the marriage officer along with individual affidavit attested by Notary specifying the age (boy 21yrs & girl 18yrs), place of residence, marital status (unmarried or divorcee as the case maybe), mental status (not idiot or not with unfit mind), not related to each other.

Along with this, you have to give proof of age (School certificate, Passport, Pan card), proof of residence (Passport, ration card, voter ID card, rent agreement), & the application of such a marriage should be witnessed by 3 independent adult persons, affix one photograph of each of the parties & all the 3 witnesses.

You have made such an application/notice to the marriage officer in person along with all the 3 witnesses. On receiving such an application, the marriage officer issues a month notice regarding the intended marriage & get such a notice affixed on the notice board out side his office, a copy of this notice is forwarded to the marriage officer under whose jurisdiction the other party lives, also a copy is to the individual parties address.

After expiry of the period of notice, a date is fixed on which bride and groom & 3 witnesses appear again before the marriage officer who declare them married & issue a certificate to this regard. In case of any objections raised, the marriage officer will settle these objections. Now what can be objections that can be raised? These can only be regarding the conditions necessary for such marriage & nothing else. What are the conditions? As stated above i.e. Age, martial status, mental status, prohibited relationship (related to each other by blood).

This is the brief procedure. If both the parties are of full legal age, the police will not take any action in such case & any one making such complaint in the police station will not be entertained. No marriage gets cancelled if the parties fulfil all the conditions of marriage. If both the parties belong to same religion, they can also marry according to their religious norms, which will be a valid & legal marriage.



Sagar (executive)     28 December 2012

Thankyou for your reply, I have 1 more question.

 We both are hindus can we get married in arya samaj marriage they provide certificate in one day is it legal? If girls parents lodge a FIR on me will i be jailed is arya samaj safe option?

ABHISHEK KUMAR VATSA (Freelancer)     30 December 2012

hi sagar first of all how can u be charged under any offence? see you both are of legal age and she is with u with her own consent so there is no chance for that. and second thing i found this procedure of marriage in arya samaj mandir

  Documents required for the Solemnization of Marriage in arya samaj mandir:-    
» Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate/ Driving License). Minimum age of both parties is 21 years for male and 18 years for female, at the time of Solemnization of Marriage in the Arya Samaj Mandir.
» Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate/ Driving License). Minimum age of both parties is 21 years for maleand 18 years for female, at the time of Solemnization of Marriage in the Arya Samaj Mandir.
» Separate affidavits from bride and groom stating date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality. (As per the Performa of Affidavit)(Affidavits wil
l be prepared by them)
  » Four each passport size photographs of both the parties.      
» Total two witnesses from anyside along with their Identity Proofs.
» Affirmation in the affidavit that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship.
» Copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
» Two garlands, two kg. sweets and half kg. desi ghee.
and yes it’s legal. As the registration of such marriage under section of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 .The Araya Samaj Marriage authority gives you a Marriage certificate which is legal. so dont worry about legality but as a freind i will suggest you that you will feel much happier about this divine union when there will be blessings from your's and her's parents.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query