LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     06 May 2009

Voting-A duty, not right

Dear friends, in my view, voting should be spedificaly enumerated as a fundamental duty under art. 51-A of the constitution. it should be made compulsory,  and necessary provisions for its enforcement should be made. am i wrong? Plz suggest.

Learning

6 Replies

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     06 May 2009

One who is living in India as Citizen of India I feel it is his fundamental  duty  to vote and also to express his his  feeling along with his  vote .

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     06 May 2009

Dear Dr.Trpathi, I appreciate your feelings on the issue but it will be difficult to make it FRs.

(Guest)

that can be done only when there is the option of not to vote. Citizens cannot be coerced into voting without giving them all the options that they rightfully deserve. Otherwise it will become a blackmailing point for police and politicians. and source of corruption.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     06 May 2009

Dear tushar ji ! my indication is towards basics of civilization. no civil society can servive without government. when one claims a right to not to vote , in a sence does't it mean that he opts for no government or no polical system ? imagine that situation ! therefore i put a veiw that voting should be compulsory - an enforceable fundamental duty, and there may be an option to reject all candidates and ask for other new candidates. is it not feasible?

Vasant Kumar (Lawyer)     12 May 2009

Voting should be made compulsary otherwise will not have effective govt and after that no point in blaming that the govt is not effective......or the leader is corrupt.

There has to be some punishment for not casting your vote.....say for eg: a minimal fine, because people consider this day as holiday and relax in their home being an irresponsible citizen. If they are least bothered about voting then declaring a holiday on the particular day should be cancelled so that they will not relax in their home. Morover it hardly take any time to go and caste ur vote.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     12 May 2009

Thank you vasantji ! this is why i have proposed a view that  voting should be specificaly enumerated as a fundamental duty under art. 51-A of the constitution. it should be made compulsory. as long as it is a right, a person would have an option to not to exercise his right. Therefore it would be proper that voting should be made an unavoidable duty, voilation of which should be harshly punishable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register