LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ANKUT GUPTA   28 January 2021

vidhwa ki paitrik sampatti pr hq...?

सर विधवा महिला का उसके सास ससुर के न होने पर उसके पति के पैतृक संपत्ति पर हक़ होता है

Learning

1 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   29 January 2021

A few years ago, the Bombay High Court (HC) heard a case where the brother of a deceased man quoted the Section 2 of the Widow Remarriage Act 1856 and asserted that his sister-in-law who had remarried should not be allowed to inherit the property of her former husband. The court, however, ruled that a widow has the rights over her former husband's properties, even if she has remarried, as she would qualify as a Class I heir while the husband’s kin would be considered a Class II heir.

According to The Hindu Succession Act, 1956 mentions the distribution of property among heirs in class I of the schedule. The first rule says that if a person dies without leaving a will (intestate) then his widow, or if there are more widows than one, all the widows together, shall take one share.

While the husband's kin are counted among the Class-II heirs, the Class-I heirs who share their rights with the widow of the intestate, include - 1.) son,
2.) daughter,
3.) mother,
4.) son of a predeceased son,
5.) daughter of predeceased
6.) son, widow of predeceased son,
7.) son of a predeceased daughter,
8.) daughter of predeceased daughter,
9.) son of predeceased so of predeceased son,
10.) daughter of predeceased son of a predeceased son,
11.) widow of predeceased son of a predeceased son.

Down below is the link which may clear your doubts. Please see the link for more information on the topic -
https://indiankanoon.org/doc/37219/

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register