LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashley (Head - Legal & Secretarial)     23 June 2008

validity of stamp paper

Is there any validity period in which stamp paper (brought) in Delhi is to be used. Recently couple of months back, Supreme court held in case of kerala that there is no validity period of the stamp paper of that state since the state did not provide any specific provision in this regard. It only provides period of six months for obtaining refund in case the stamp paper is not used within period of six months.

like in maharashtra the stamp paper is valid for six months period.

would like the learned members to throw light on the validity period of the stamp paper in delhi with relevant provisions/citation or any other backing.

ashley

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

Recently, i was forced to do a search in the same, that was before the SC decision by J. Raveendran, by ING VYSYA BANK.

I found that only in Maharastra such a limitation is there, that limitation is not there in other enactments in the country.  Only if the stamp vendor or a purchasers wants to surrender them back to government and get refund, then it is six months, otherwise the person in whose name the stamp is issued can use it any time he wants to.

Guest (n/a)     09 July 2008

My friend has done service agreement for 4 yrs with an organisation using 50 rupees stamp papers. How much yrs or months this 50 rupees stamp is valid?

and generaly what is the criteria for using perticular cost stamp for perticular ,activity?

regards,

Sachin Shinde

Lakshmi Rajesh (Associates)     21 May 2009

The stamp paper value is dependent on the nature of the agreement itself and is povided in the Schedule to the Stamp Act or its rules for each state. If the denomination is alright, then the Agreement is valid for the entire tenure for which it has been executed. Once the tenure or term of teh Agreement expires or is terminated, the validity of the stamp paper is also over.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register