LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Q Slinger (NA)     29 December 2014

Urgent: criminal revision vs criminal appeal in hc

Dear Experts: Require urgent information for HC hearing tomorrow!

Facts of case:

1. In IPC 498a, police seized passports of A4.

2. Return of passport application (filed in Feb 2013 and decision in Apr 2013) rejected in Trial court stating to refile an application after framing of charges.

3. Appealed the same in session court (Filed in Jun 2013 and decision in Aug 2013) and session court upheld trial court decision stating to refile application after framing of charges. 

Now this is where I require your help:

4. Lawyer filed criminal revision for passport return in HC (filed in Dec 2014), but section made a mistake and filed it under Criminal Appeal

Now the HC judge sitting on Criminal appeals bench states that he has no authority to judge over the matter that is clearly Criminal Revision matter. (Criminal Revisions are being addressed by another judge). However after my lawyer pleaded, HC judge mentioned that he would look into the matter see if he has the authority or if there is a possibility for him to judge over the matter.

Now, this is where I need your expert help,

1. How can my lawyer convince the judge (using any sections, articles, judgements etc) to state that he can judge over this matter.

2. Is there an appeal period time limitation from the time the session court gave the judgement to the time we filed our petition in HC.

3. Because the return of passport application was filed after a period of one year, can it be considered as appeal rather revision because the appeal period is over?

4. Are there any other sections of the law, constitution that we can invoke to show that our application for return of passport can qualify as a criminal appeal and hence the judge can pass judgement on it.

5. If all else fails, can we request this judge to give orders to the trial court for a speedy trial? Is there a process we need to follow?

All help is appreciated and thank you much in advance. 

Learning

4 Replies

FightForCause (Businessman)     29 December 2014

Dear on what basis they rejected the application.

I had a similar case and i gave 2 judgements in my support.

Contended u/s 21 of constitution of India...liberty to go abroad and Passport act being a specialized act is above other acts.

Trial Judge immediately released passport.

I also submitted my company wants me to send onsite and if not permitted i may loose my job and livelyhood.....

plead Judge to consider" substance over the procedure" and accept your application.

Best of Luck

FightForCause (Businessman)     29 December 2014

attached judgments

Attached File : 85354688 passport - hc.pdf, 85354688 sc-jan-2008-police-cannot-seize-a-passport.pdf downloaded: 111 times

Q Slinger (NA)     29 December 2014

Hi FightForCause:

I am more interested in how to convince the HC judge to hear my case. He is very clear that there was a mistake made by the filing section in filing our petiton as Criminal appeal rather than criminal revision.

So since we have one more chance tomorrow..I am looking for statements, acts, clauses, laws, judgements on where we can persuade the judge to hear our case rather than dismiss it.

The "substance over procedure" seems like a good statement...will definitely use that..

Jai Karan Nagwan (consultant)     29 December 2014

Hi, what I see here, it was neither proper to file revision nor appeal at such a belated stage. Revision could have been filed within limitation period I.e. 30 days. If at all advocate should or must have filed application for condonation of delay. At the same time there are different format and provision for appeal and revision. If your advocate would have filed revision, there would have been pray accordingly and same way in appeal. If this would have error petition would have returned with objection. If it fact that advocate filed revision and it is listed before appellate bench, this would have been transfered to revisional bench or it will be transfered accordingly and first your advocate will be required to plead / argue for condonation of delay. Thereafter only, it will be rejected or admitted.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register