Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pratik (self working)     25 February 2011

transportation.

Section 53A. Construction of reference to transportation
1[53A. Construction of reference to transportation.

(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2) and sub-section (3), any reference to "transportation for life" in any other law for the time being in force or in any instrument or order having effect by virtue of any such law or of any enactment repealed shall be construed as a reference to "imprisonment for life".

(2) In every case in which a sentence of transportation for a term has been passed before the commencement of the Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Act, 2[1955] (26 of 1955), the offender shall be dealt with in the same manner as if sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for the same term.

(3) Any reference to transportation for a term or to transportation for any shorter term (by whatever name called) in any other law for the time being in force shall be deemed to have been omitted.

(4) Any reference to "transportation" in any other law for the time being in force shall,-

(a) If the expression means transportation for life, be construed as a reference to imprisonment for life; (b) If the expression means transportation for any shorter term, be deemed to have been omitted.}

Query : As per my point of view the abovemnetioed section what's to convey that if the words transportation comes than it means imprisonment for life. Pls clarify me if i am wrong. OR Give me a suitable examples or any case laws in which I can understand the abovementioned SECTION IN DEPTH PLS.
Thanks In Advance.

God Bless U All.

Learning

1 Replies

Manish Singh (Advocate)     25 February 2011

which act you are talking about? Please clarify.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register