Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Munish (Mr)     29 December 2009

Transmission of Shares

Dear Friends

My father had shares in some company X. My father expired in year 1996. But we did not inform the company because we did not know that he was holding some shares.Now in this year 2009 , we recieved some shares from the company in the name of my father .

Now can we apply for the transmission of shares ?? we have the death certificate of year 1996. Will that be enough for this ??

Learning

7 Replies

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     29 December 2009

Please apply for the transmission with a letter setting out the details of the legal heirs of your father and the death certificate (original extract or attested copy) to the Company or the Registrar/Transfer Agent. The procedure slight varies depending on the number of shares, the market value of the shares, etc. Generally if your father has left will, the shares will go to the beneficiaries named in the will. Otherwise the shares can be transmitted to all the legal heirs or one of the legal heir on the basis of no objection from other legal heirs supported by affidavit.

In case your father had registered nomination, the shares will be transmitted to the nominee(s) and the nominee has to distribute the shares/proceeds to the other legal heirs.

Vasudevan

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     29 December 2009

you have to file probate and succession certificate to get transfer the sahres

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     29 December 2009

Rajiv ji .. that should be probate or succession - What ever applicable.  But from the details given by Mr. Munshi it would be a succession certificate.  Mr. Munshi the company will require a succession certificate from the court for transmission of shares.

Munish (Mr)     30 December 2009

Dear Friends

My Father did not left any will.From where i can get this succession certificate . This needs to be made from the court ??

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     30 December 2009

Yes.  A succession certificate has to be obtained from the court. 

Smita_L01042008 (student)     30 December 2009

you can speak to compnay in this regard

in case of absence of will probate,

they may ask for 1. death certificate 2. affidavit cum declaration that your are legal heirs of your father and in case any liability arises out of transferrring shares to you, you will inemnify the. 3. in case there are other legal heir also then you have to take no objection certificate from them.

Advocate. Arunagiri (Advocate High Court Madras.)     11 December 2010

Check with the company whether there is any nomination. Normaly, it will be there. Then your problem will be solved simply by producing the death certificate.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register