New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sadashiv (Owner)     30 July 2014

Transfer of property without will


We are settled in PUne since last 25 years where as my father had property in Karnataka (Belgaum).

He expired recently at our pune house and his death certificate carry permanent address as Pune Address.

We have created certificate of legal heir through affidvate.

When we took this certificate to our home town (to transfer farm land) the Tehsildar asked us to produce VARSA certificate. When I tried finding it I couldn't get any information in maharastra where as for Belgaum district there is clear format avaialble online for such certificate. I approached talati office (our home is in gram panchayat) for details he mentioned that I need to do affidivate and letter from police patil stating who are legal heirs.

When I spoke to gram panchayant guys they told me to get polic patil's letter from home town since pune police patil don't know you.

I am not able proceed due to lack of legal knowledge.

Could anybody help us to understand legal process of transffering property to wife where person has died in different state than home town?

Any help on this highly appreciated.




 4 Replies

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     30 July 2014

Male dying intestate, his property will devolve upon legal heirs,for this u have to get death certificate and based on that u can get legal heir certificate and then u can initiate mutation process..this is the normal process, since u are from  Maharashtra, states have different acts in this regard,it is better to seek advice from local advocate, having thorough knowledge in this.

Sandeep Hegde(89 717 84 550) (Advocate)     30 July 2014

Hire a advocate from Belgaum to liason with government offices. If you approach directly officials make it much complicated for you as you don't know local laws. Thanks and regards, Sandeep Hegde

Shashikant V. Patil (Lawyer)     31 July 2014

Dear Sadhashiv,

You are staying in city area, actually, police patil is a person appointed by state govt in villages not in a City. Hence , you have written VARSA is wrong spell correct spell is VARAS .  For this, you have to  go to Collector Office, Pune and get the VARAS (Legal heirs ) certificate by providing affidavit before Collectorate staff and obtained the same as required by you.  There is no concern with the Police Patil in your case.

Omkar   20 April 2016

Shashikat did you find any solution for this situation? I'm stuck with the same my dad passed away recently with some property at khanapur(karnataka). Now they are asking me to bring Varas certificate from Pune. Where in Pune no one has idea about it. Experts please help. Thanks in advance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register