LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

reunion2   20 March 2015

Time required for divorce

I need to take some decision but before that i am just looking for some time frame. Can any one help me in giving Ball parking Time.

1. If both me and my wife are agree for Divorce then how much time it will take to get in the closure.

2. If i travelled for abroad for long duration and after than my wife applied for Divorce. What will be the consequences.

3. If i applied for Divorce. Will it possible to go to abroad for long duration in between the trial.

thanks

Learning

5 Replies

A.Radha Sampath (Advocate)     20 March 2015

1. Firstly, if both of you agree to take divorce, then it is called as Mutual Consent Divorce. For this, you have to present a joint petition stating that you want to get separated through mutual consent divorce. This is called as the First Motion. Then you will be given a 6 month cooling period during which according to the courts you may rethink and take back your petition. Then after 6 months if you still insist on taking divorce then the court asks you to file an affidavit and grants you the divorce decree. This cooling period may be reduced under certain emergent situations in the discretion of the court.

2. If your wife files a divorce petition in your absence, then if you do not represent the case in any way, then she may be granted an exparte divorce decree and also for maintenance if she also claims from you.

3. If you file for divorce and go abroad not representing it any further for a longer time, then again the case may be decided in your wife's favour in your absence.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     20 March 2015

If you both are ready for divorce by mutual consent then it will get decided in 6 months .2. If your wife filed divorce when you are abroad then she will get exparte divorce decree in her favour. 3. After applied divorce you have to be present for your evidence before the court otherwise case will go in the favour of your wife .

reunion2   20 March 2015

Originally posted by : laxmi kant joshi
If you both are ready for divorce by mutual consent then it will get decided in 6 months .2. If your wife filed divorce when you are abroad then she will get exparte divorce decree in her favour. 3. After applied divorce you have to be present for your evidence before the court otherwise case will go in the favour of your wife .

Thanks Laxmi sir

I made my mind that i must leave her. I just need to thing about the ways through which i will get less impacted.One more thing the alimony money will depend upon my indian salary or USA salary (% wise) or it will be a fixed amount in rupees?

herbert54   21 March 2015

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 March 2015

If your marriage had taken place atleast one year before the date of filing divorce case under mutual consent, it will take another six months period to get a decree dissolving your marriage by a decree of divorce. Your foreign visit for a long duration cannot be hampered due to the pending divorce case.  But better come back on the second motion date to get rid of the proposed marital discord with her legally.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register