Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankit (Owner)     13 April 2010

Third Party Claim to be recovered from owner

Hi,

Our truck met an accident in the year 1998 in which 3 persons had died. Insurance company after verification paid claim to third party who died or got injured in that accident. Now In December 2009 Oriental Insurance Company has filed case for claim from owner on grounds that drivers licence was fake, so the whole amount of compensation should be paid by the owner.

The driver who was driving that truck died 2 yrs back. We got it verified from Local transport authority (Pratapgarh) from where it was renewed. As per their records Licence is valid. But the Licence was originally issued from Bombay Transport Authority.  and Insurance company claims that it is fake and was never issued by bombay transport authority.

I know the ruling of High Court  that a document being fake can not be considered Legal even if it was renewed later on.

But I would Like to raise a Question that Why the owner is considered guilty in this case. When my father appointed that driver he got it verified from local authority and found it to be genuine.Is it required from owner to go to Bombay and get it verified from there also.

Please guide me how can we challenge this decision and what other factors can go against this ruling.

Learning

1 Replies

Vinod kashyap (Advocate & Legal advisor)     13 April 2010

pl. go through the award of MACT. if they held liable truck owner for compensation and insurance company paid amt than they will recover amt from owner. Driver have no valid license its comes into voilation of policy terms. if license found fake there  is not matter of verification.

If you have verification letter in writing issued by RTO authority than you should take a chance and file appeal against award. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register