LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashish (Manager)     09 July 2011

Termination of house lease - Onwer wishes to sell the house

I  rented a house in Delhi through lease agreement for 11 month duration. Lease agreement has clause that it can be terminated before it's expiry by either pary by giving one month notice. No specific conditions for early termination are mentioned in the lease.

The owner now wants to terminate the lease within 3 months of it's start as he is selling out the house.
I  want to continue to stay in the house even if he sends me termination notice. I understand that he can get the house evicted only through court proceedings.

a) What actions should I take ? how should I respond to the notice ?  in order to safeguard my interest considering there could be a court proceeding.

b) In case Onwer still sells out the house without evicting me, who do I pay the rent thereafter ? to the new Onwer ?

Thanks in advance for gving a detailed opinion.

Learning

1 Replies

krantiveer (Advocate)     09 July 2011

An agreement for 11 months means a Leave & Licence Agreement, You sholuld co-operate with the land lord and can request extension. You can delay giving back possession, thru litigation, but that is not fair, if you have agreed to the contents in the agreement, you must co-operate. Try not to increase un-necessary litigations. You will not be entertained by other land lords, in case you harass your landlords.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register