Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

itguy   23 March 2015

Tds on epf withrawal

Hi,

I worked until May 2013 in a private MNC company in India and was contributing to the Employee Provident Fund Scheme. My tenure at the company was less than a year. Then in May 2013, I, along with a couple of others were terminated due to not enough business. Since then, I haven't worked for 2 years now and I am pursuing full-time education.

I applied to withdraw all the EPF contribution from the previous company's PF trust. They credited me the PF amount but deducted TDS of nearly 20%. I had the impression that, if an employment has been terminated and the person hasn't worked after leaving the company then I am entitled to the whole PF amount without attracting any tax on it.

My queries are:-

1) Can someone please confirm if this is the case, i.e., there shouldn't be any TDS in this case on EPF withdrawal and provide the relevant sections for the reference?

2) How can I have make a request to file for the TDS refund? Do I amend the last year's ITR or apply for a credit in this year's ITR though I have zero income and zero tax liability.

Thanks

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register