LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Makarand (Technical Architect)     23 April 2013

Tatkal passport for my minor son whoes name has been changed

Hello Sir,

Can you please let me know if it is legally feasible to get a passport for my minor son (aged 6 years approx) on his OLD name.

The case is that after my sons birth I named him and got the Birth certificate on that name.

Later I changed his name. I got the name changed (to a new name) in the Gazzette of Central government. Now he has a new name. (the new name has been used in his primary school)

However I need his passport on Tatkal basis and I got to know (from Passport Seva web portal) that it is not possible for me to apply for his passport in Tatkal scheme as he has a change of name (which is a so called           "Major" change in name as per passport seva portal).

My question is.. If I get (or try to get) my sons passport on Tatkal basis on his OLD name, will there be any legal issue if I get the passport for my son on his OLD name (as I can get the passport in Tatkal scheme?

Basically I do not want to do anything thats illegal.

Thank you.


 7 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     06 September 2013

did you contact passport office.

Priya Sukumaran (Consultant)     12 September 2013

for minors there is no apply in new name by giving two paper ad and a notary affidavit and take the passport in new name itself..dont lie to the passport office as they will ask for school bonafide

sanjeev (Manager)     07 April 2014

HI Makarand,

I have same problem you were facing, please let me know how you resolved this issue, I also want my son's passport in tatkal, but then I have name change issue. Please let me know were you able to apply for tatkal passport? if yes, please tell me what all documents are required for it.

I will be very grateful to you if you could help me in this issue.

Thanks, in advance.

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     31 August 2020

Contact tha passport authority with documents for change of name with notary affidvit.

famliharte   01 February 2021

Gud Story: We at Gudstory bring the latest news from around the world related to TV Shows, Anime, Gaming, Entertainment, Biography, Lifestyle, and Travel.

Veerendar Sunkara   13 July 2023

Check here to get more information about passport reissue. Thank you

James Anderson   16 October 2023

YES, the legal feasibility of obtaining a passport for your minor son in his old name can be addressed based on the available information:

  1. Birth Certificate: If the original birth certificate carries the old name, it establishes the legal basis for the initial name.

  2. Gazette Notification: The Gazette of the Central Government recognizing the name change to the new one is crucial. However, it's important to note that the new name has been officially recognized.

  3. Passport Seva Guidelines: As per the Passport Seva portal, major name changes might affect Tatkal processing. While it's not explicitly illegal, the process may be subject to scrutiny.

  4. Legal Implications: Attempting to obtain a passport under the old name through Tatkal may not align with the passport office's guidelines. This could lead to delays or rejection.

Taking these considerations, it's advisable to consult directly with the Passport Seva authorities or seek legal advice from an immigration consultant like  DYgreencard Inc. to ensure compliance with the specific regulations governing passport issuance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register