Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

NANDAN NAIK (ENGINEER)     25 January 2016

Suicide threats by wife

Hello everyone,

I need help and need it urgently. 

I've been married for past 5 years. Wife is an epileptic and I knew about her disease before marriage and still agreed to marry her. However, I regretted this decision soon after. Her behaviour and attitude post marriage has caused me lots of mental trauma. She is extremely rude to my family members and constantly mocks them for being poor farmers from backward caste (she is a bramhin and I am a kayasth). She forms good friendship with my colleagues' wives and then tell them false stories about how me and family harass her. She does the same in her school (where she teaches K.G. kids) and with our neighbours as well. Whenever there is a fight, she calls friends and neighbours and  creates a big tamasha. She even calls my manager and speaks ill about me. Not just this, she often gets violent and thrashes my head or scratches my face with her nails. 

I purchased a flat worth 50 lac rupees last year. Her father gave 5 lac to me for the purchase and asked me to put my wife's name in the sale deed as well. I did so. After this, my wife began taunting me that I was able to purchase a flat because of her father. And because my parents did not conribute anything, she didn't allow my parents to visit me since I bought the flat. Last year, we had a fight over this issue so she created a big scene and left the house, but came back the very next day. She assured me that she will not quarrel anymore. But her assurancce was short-lived. She quarreled again and again till I got fed up and took her to our village where a meeting was arranged between her parents and mine. It was mutually agreed on the 11th of January 2016, that she will live with her parents for three months. When I returned back, to my utter surprise, I saw that she had already come back. I told her that I cannot live with her and I'll find a spperate room for myself. She created a hue and cry and has been threatening me with suicide since then. I am very scared as she constantly shows me a rope and says that if you leave me, I'll hang myself in this house. 

I am very scared. I do not want to live with her.But at the same time, I am worried whether she would do something to herself. On what grounds can I file for divorce and how soon can I get away from her?

Please advice asap.

Regards

A scared husband

Learning

8 Replies

Hello, 

Thanks for the reply. Her problem is that she doesn't know herself what she really wants. Earlier she wanted a house, I gave her one, then she asked my parents not to visit me, I agreed for that as well, and then she wanted a child inspite of having been told by doctors that she is unfit to be a mother and her disease may pass on to the child.

I adjusted for 5 years as I really loved her and was hpoing against hope that she wiil be cired one day. But I am at the end of my patience now. I am a human being after all and have my own limits.

Please advice.

Thnak you Madam. I appreciate your efforts in counseliing me but I think a man will understand my plight better.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     25 January 2016

first file a nc in the police station that your wife is issuing suicide threats and her mental stability is in question.then you can proceed with filing a contested divorce on the grounds of cruelty as issuing suicide threats itself constitute cruelty

1 Like

Reformist !!! (Other)     25 January 2016

But please record her threats of suicide before instituting divorce as divorce is granted only if evidences corroborates the allegations, else you will lose the divorce case.

Chetan   25 January 2016

Please check this video where its explained by victims very well  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvbNTsuLnk8

Reformist !!! (Other)     25 January 2016

1st question first. On whose name this house is registered where you are staying. Remember if it is in your name then she has every right to stay in that house as per the DV act. The only way to avoid that property to be a dump property is to sell it out. If it is in join name, then you are in soup bro. 

Stop thinking about filing divorce unless and until you have strong evidence and if you have any evidence against her threats then you must file criminal case before filing for divorce. But i wud advise you not to start the litigation and keep collecting evidences until the time she starts the litigation. More important is to see the house is in whose name, else this property wud be a waste of money.

SuperHero (Manager)     26 January 2016

Originally posted by : Mrs. Renuka Chaudhury,
You need to understand the plight of the woman.

On one side she is not having good health.

On the other hand you are telling you will leave her.

What more can she do to stop you?

She will threaten you that she will kill herself in order to stop you from moving out.

Inspite of the ups and downs and the life that I have seen and my own kids got into trouble after marriage, I still believe that love can change a person.

HUSBAND WIFE job is toughest job in world, all you need is patience.

It is just in you to handle her, nobody can do anything, everything is in your hands, show love, be patient would be my advice, running away is of no use.

Hi,

I would suggest take her to a doctor and start collecting details as mentioned by Renuka Ji....

Suicide threats shouldn't be taken lightly. If she attempts suicide the first Suspect or the Victim would be the Husband.

Pray to God sincerely.

NANDAN NAIK (ENGINEER)     26 January 2016

I thank each and everyone of you for the replies you have posted. They have really been helpful. There is just one more question that I have...

Can you please elaborate the procedure to register a NC with the police? I am not a localite and I do not speak the local language, so will the cops co-operate with me? Also, I do not have any proofs right now? Can I still file the NC?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register