LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dinesh Kumar (Manager)     24 December 2009

Succession certificate

My father expired last year without leaving a WILL. He left behind my mother, 3 sisters (all married) and myself (married). He held shares in demat form of NSDL and had nominated my mother as his nominee. However this nomination was made in 1999 and hence there was no photograph of the nomineee was given as that was not sought at that point of time. 

Since the beginning of Nov'09 I am told that NSDL has cancelled all nominations which have been done without photograph and the Depository Participants (DP) are seeking fresh nominations from the holders. Since my father has deceased the DP is insisting on a Succession certificate. My sisters & I have no problems in the shares being transmitted to our mother and we are ready to give indemnity bonds to satisfy the DP & NSDL. The market value of shares is about Rs.10.0Lacs 

Pl advice whether succession certificate is mandatory? if Yes, how do i obtain the same? the procedure, cost & time. My mother & I are residents of Chennai. My father too was a resident of Chennai.  




 8 Replies





CENTRAL GOVERNMENT STANDING COUNSEL-HIGH COURT, MADRAS (H):129/6, Emerald Flats, Thirumangalam, Anna Nagar West, Chennai-40 (O): 156, Linghi Chetty Street, III Floor, Chennai-1 (H): 044-26156335 ● (O): 044-25214068 ● (F): 044-25214068

Mohit Attri (lawyer)     25 December 2009

where is adv pakash sir.plz solve the matter.


 mr Mohit,

It is the matter pertaining to the state of T.N, where getting a certificate from Govt department is not easy, Hence I ASKED TO TAKE HELP OF CONCERN ADV. TO SOLVE THE BELOW PROBLEMS:

-whether succession certificate is mandatory? if Yes, how do i obtain the same? the procedure, cost & time. My mother & I are residents of Chennai. My father too was a resident of Chennai.  


Mohit Attri (lawyer)     26 December 2009

rite also waiting the same bcoz i hve also same prblm regarding succesn certificate but only difference is dat my client belong to punjab.

subhash kumar (advocate)     28 December 2009

Dear, file a petition  under indian succession act and made the all legal heirs party and get the succession certificate , it does not take long time . seek the help of advocate .

Subhash kumar, adv

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     30 December 2009

File a civil suit against general public wherein you, yours mother and sister shall be petitioners declaring that you petitioners are the only legal  heirs of deceased ...........and accordingly you inherit the property mentioned therein. Court notice to general public shall be published in a leading newpaper at your cost and in none appared on the day of notice, respondent general public shall be proceeded as ex-parte and case shall be adjourned for ex-parte evidence of you and ultimately the same shall be decided in your favour and certificate shall be issued subject to deposit of court fee which generally come sto 3% of the cost of the property.

suneesh.k (advocate)     19 February 2010

dear sir cirtainly you have to aproch civil cout  for getin a successesion cirtificate. but  it is not asuit  not a suit  butan op  as per indian succession act

Parthiban (Programmer)     11 November 2010

Hello Sir, Good Morning, I am Parthiban Santharam brother of Nandagopal Santharam who has expired due to Cancer last year August 15 2009. I have just submitted the required documents to the Govt for his life time settlement and they are asking me to produce the succession certificate. Kindly guide me on the same. What is the procedure and reqirements need to get a succession certificate in a short period.. Thanks. Parthiban Mobile 9176806670..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query