LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anurag Agarwal   12 August 2021

stri dhan

1.if man dies without making a will, will all bank accounts and post office account where wife is either joint holder or nominee, be considered to be stri dhan?
2. Also, immovable property purchased and constructed by man but registered in name of wife, will also form part of stri dhan?
3. don't children of man have any right over above property?

Learning

8 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     13 August 2021

( 1 ) No

( 2 ) No

( 3 ) All legal heirs of man ( children ,wife and mother if alived ) have equal share in property left by him.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     13 August 2021

I concur the advise of expert Mr. Bhatesh Goyal. The movable / immovable property left behind by deceased husband shall not be stridhan of widow and she will be one of the co-sharer of such property along with other legal representatives.

However, can you tell what is your concern / problem / dispute / locus standi, if it is not an examination hall question paper ?

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     13 August 2021

1. The joint Account holder or Nominee, in both cases, the survivor shall receive the money as a Trustee only and is bound by Law to share it along with other Legal Heirs.
  2. Although Husband purchases the property in the name of his wife, for all practical purposes the property shall be considered to be that of the Husband, provided it can be proved that the source of funds with which the house was purchased/constructed are the funds of the husband and not that of the Wife.
  3. In the light of Point 2 above, if the Husband dies intestate, the property shall have to be shared by all the eligible Legal Heirs including the Wife.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     13 August 2021

Find out the real concept and understand what is actually "Stree Dhan".  During olden times, the married lady coming from a good family never wish to depend on her husband or in-laws and begging money for her needs like "Pasupu (Turmeric) & Kumkum (bindi powder)..  She may be having many daily needs.   To make herself sufficient during olden times, her parents/brothers used to gift agricultural land with good income or gold or any property that earns a regular income.  She used to spend that amount as she likes without depending on the support of her husband.

Anurag Agarwal   13 August 2021

@Dr JC Vashista...Sir can I respond one to one... instead of the forum

P. Venu (Advocate)     13 August 2021

What is the context for this query?

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     15 August 2021

Dear Friend, Stridhan is any property which is given to a bride by his husband, In-laws , her parents or any friends and relatives before at and after the marriage. This is the actual definition of the Stridhan for any lawful purposes. Now in your case If the Father died intestate (Without any will) his all own earned property will be equally divided among all his other immediate family members equall I.e. among his wife, sons and Daughters. Now the question arises that if any property is purchased in the name of wife by her husband by this own earned money, whether that property shall also be divided or not. No that property will be considered as a gift to her and shall not be divided among his legal heirs. For any other questions you can ask me finding my number and office address from this forum only. 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 August 2021

Originally posted by : Anurag Agarwal
@Dr JC Vashista...Sir can I respond one to one... instead of the forum

@ Mr. Anurag Agarwal,

I could not follow from your response to my opinion.

Please clarify specifically whether you are seeking obligation or giving examination by stating "...respond one to one..."

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register