Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Reviewer   07 June 2016

Stray dog bite

Hello Fellow advisors,

Let me explain you the backdrop of this case. We feed the stray dogs on a regular basis in our locality. As per AWBI regulations and acts, any animal lover is allowed to feed the stray animal in his or her locality additional ref.  D.O. AWBI/PCA/Dated3.3.08

While we were feeding the stray dogs in the morning which is a regular activity for us, a lady was walking throught the same lane. Looking at one of the dogs she started yelling which resulted in a stray dog attacking her.

This lady inspite of knowing that the dogs are strays and not our property, demanded us to pay money for her treatment. When out of concern and humanity, I asked her to visit a doctor with me , she apparently refused. She persistently made demand of giving her money for self treatmemnt which was uncalled and suspicious.

This lady lodged a complaint on account of which an officer visited us ( without any formal FIR being registered) but the tone in which he approached me was not welcoming. Infact he interrgogated me without the presence of a lady constable even knowing that he is coming to interrogate a woman which happens to be me. The officer used a private conyenace " a santro car" instead of the govt transportand arrived during lunch hours probably between 1: 30 pm to 2:00 afternoon which caste a doubt on his authenticity. I even approached the SHO for registering a counter FIR u/s 354 against the officer who misbehaved with me just on the basis of a compaint which has no legal basis. Interestingly he did not welcome that.

I would like to have a second opinion here form the fellow lawyers . The stray biting a resident is not a crime under any IPC section albeit a pet biting a resident can be booked under IPC u/s 289. Our involvement is just restricted to feeding strays which is perfectally legal. If any stray bites any resident, it is not incumbent upon us.

Learning

1 Replies

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     07 June 2016

whoever does wrong act is solely responsible for his own act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register