LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sheel (home maker)     10 May 2012

Stop payment of cheque


I had issued a cheque as an advance to purchase a site to a person. Meanwhile, luckily we got to know that he is a fraudulent person, so I made a stop payment at my bank and informed the party also. He is now saying that the cheque I gave is lost and not returning it. What sorts of problems can I expect and what kind of fraud can he do witth my cheque?. Bank manager says he cannot do anything with it. Thanks to all your genuine replies and advice.


 3 Replies

pratik (Legal Executive)     10 May 2012

since you have stop the payment he can not withdraw any amount from your account, but if the cheque is still in his coustody, and if he deposite a cheque in his bank, and chque gets dishonoured then he can file case against you in criminal court under section 138 of NI Act. 

If cheque is lost,  then file a NC in nearest Police Station.

DEEPAK ASSOCIATES (08010117611)     10 May 2012

As advice by mr Pratik you have to lodge a DDR in the nearest police station and also be declare in the local news papers for the sake of safety.



ramesh (wer)     11 May 2012

Mr.Kapoor and Mr. Pratik,

Declaring the cheque lost in Local news papers.In what way it helps the person who lost cheque.

To what extent Lodging a DDR and giving public notice will safe guard the innocent accused from NI act.

Thanks for your replies in advance.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads