LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Radhakrishnan J (NA)     29 March 2012

Stop cheque payment for municipal corporation

I made a payment to BBMP for propert y tax in 4 cheques for various years. I have stopped cheque for 3 of them and allowed only one of them, as the payment for the other 3 cheques was already made and I have the receipts for the same. However, I wanted to know, if stopping the cheque payment in such case is an offence?

Reason for stopping the cheque payment - Payment for the same purpose is made earlier and receipts are available.


 7 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     29 March 2012

stop payment is for genuine reason then NI act does not applicable.

1 Like

Radhakrishnan J (NA)     29 March 2012

Thanks for the response.

However, the municipal corporation tax inspector contests that "stop cheque payment" is an offence and he asks me to make the payment again for the stopped cheques and write a letter stating "I have made double payment for property tax and please adjust it". Is that appropriate to do?


The tax inspector called me up too couple of minutes back and mentions that the payment already made was wrong. Hence I need to make the new payment which I cancelled. However he is not ready to give the reason in write up for whatever reason. How do I proceed further. The tax inspector also argues that Mail response is an offence. Is email response to any Government organisation an offence?

Narendra Malik (advocate)     30 March 2012

wait and watch, if corporation issue you any notice then send reply through registered AD post stating all relevent  facts.

1 Like

A.V.Pattanashetti (Advocate)     30 March 2012

It is not offence if u rcd notice say the same by r.a.d  09448035651

1 Like

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     31 March 2012

Cheque is drawn for discharge of debt or liability and when the debt or liability is discharge the complainant should not take advantage of dcouble cheques issued by the drawer of the cheques.

1 Like

Radhakrishnan J (NA)     02 April 2012

Thanks Lawyers. I appreciate your help.

I got a call from the BBMP tax inspector again today, mentioning that the earlier payment made was wrong because, the payment was done in a different Municipal Corportation office and not at his office.  As I further asked him to send me a written communication, he has threatened my tenant that he will issue the notice to him. My tenant has every intention to vacate the house now. Any suggestions on what can be done further?

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     16 June 2012

Either (1) meet the tax inspector and offer some chai-pani, or (2) see a lawyer and send him a strongly worded legal notice. Either should work (I think the former will act as instantly as Eno);)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query