LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abdul (Asst.Professor)     04 June 2017

Stop cheque payment

I had purchased a house from a seller and the registration formalities done on 4/3/17. Since the seller agreed to do some remaining finishing works , I issued a post dated cheque for 20/3/17 for an amount of 2.5 Lakhs.( unfortunately it was not documented). Since the seller did not initiate any work after repeated call, I had no way , but to stop cheque payment knowing its consequences. 

I got a notice from the seller's advocate on 18/5/17 to pay within 15 days, else appropriate legal action will be taken. In that notice it's mentioned that the cheque was presented on 23/3/17 and the bank issued a memo on 25/3/17 mentioning as payment stopped . 

My query is : will it attract 138 NI (Criminal case) now since the notice was served to me after 30 days of bank's memo issued to them. Cheque has validity till 19/6/17. Also the seller is out of country. 

Please let me know what to do? I am a Government servant (Gazetted officer) and like to avoid criminal proceedings.

Mean while the seller's advocate called me for a compromise for an amount of Rs. 50,000/- only which I cannot accept.

Learning

7 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     04 June 2017

Now 138 NI Act is attracted. Your only remedy is arriving at a settlement with the seller by PAYING  50,000 RUPEES AS HE ORIGINALLY DEMANDED.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     04 June 2017

Pay the amount to the seller and very simple ask in writing to him to withdraw the complaint filed against you by filing a petition u/s 147 of NI act

No, they are ready to deduct 50,000/ from 2.5 lakh  which  Means I have to pay 2 lakhs unnecessarily because they have not fullfilled ther commitement by doing the remaing works as promised.

My questions is : Since they served me the Lawyer notice after almost 2 months of the memo from the bank where they submitted the cheque, will it attract 138 NI? As per my knowlede, in order to file for 138 NI criminal procedure, the party has to follow certain procedures . One of them is serve the notice within 30 days of the memo from the bank which they failed to do so.  But the cheque has the validity till June 19th.

Please help me out.

(Guest)

Payi t to the seller before any CRIMNIAL case gets moved against you.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     04 June 2017

If you can prove that the cheque issued is relating to the unfinished works, you can win your case.  Try to collect evidences that consutruction needs some repairs and it is unfinished. Take photographs of unfinished works and produce before the court. Since your case is weak, appoint experienced lawyer. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     04 June 2017

Furnish reply to the Notice setting out the facts and asserting that there is no lawful debt; the cheque was issued in anticipation of certain items of work being executed and as the contracter has neglected to carry out the work, the stop memo had been issued.

Thank you for the convincing reply. We had given the reply mentioning the above points though the words were different. 

I feel we wont be weak in proving the same due to the following points,

1) In their notice issued to me they had not mentioned the actual reason why the post dated cheque was given to them. They just mentioned regarding the purchase of the propery. They had not mentined what is the actual amount in the agreement.and how much I paid and what is remaining etc. The cheque was issued on the registration day and the seller had agreed that whatever amount mentioned in the original deed had been recieved and accordingly property registered in my name.

2) The legal notice had been served to me after almonst 2 months of the rejection memo from the bank

3) In the original deed they had hidden one important factor regarding the building number. They had told us that buiding number was not yet obtained and accordingly deed was prepared. After the registration we came to know that the bulding number was issued by the panchayath 2 years back. Now I am facing problem for changing the seller name to my name in the punchayath document as the building number is missing in the deed. (Though this nothing to do with cheque case, I can initiate a cheating case against them)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register