Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

manik prabhu (SR. OFFICER)     19 December 2014

Spouse's - change of name after / before marriage

Dear Sir's


I got married in 2000.  Before marriage my spouse name was xxx as per certificates and after marriage, name changed to YYYY.

My son was born in 2001 and the certificate contains the new name which is after marriage.

Till now, I have registered all documents such as Aadhar, Bank a/c, Ration card etc on new name only.

But now, I am need of taking passport and PAN card for her.

Can you please suggest / provide me solution on the following:

1. should i take pan card, passport on new name or old name

2. should i procure marriage certificate on new name

3. is it possible to change mother's name in the birth certificate / aadhar  card / ration card / bank a/c

4. what would be procedure and how much i incur the expenses


kindly help me.

Thanks and Regards,

D. Manik Prabhu



 4 Replies

R S Rashmi (Advocate)     20 December 2014

Every documents including PAN, AADHAR, Bank Acc etc will have to be updated with NEW NAME. Otherwise the name change is just a normal document only.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     22 December 2014

mr manik prabhu 

as per your query I am answering this 

as you have given that your wife name before marriage is example  swathi and after marriage her name is change to manik swathi (if manik is husbands surname) and a simple a application mentioning her date of marriage with you and her surname change to manik can give a formal letter to bank, any concerned were she want to change her surname and for pass port she has to submit marriage proof like wedding card, marriage certificate for change of surname 


incase if ex your wife name before marriage is swathi and after marriage if she want to change her name to gayatri then a simple procedure has to be followed 

Follow the below given steps for changing own name.

step1 Affidavit

Go to you local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your wife name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything. 

here newspaper publication can be given personally or after press releases a reply letter 

step2 newspaper publication (here newspaper publication can be given personally or after press releases a reply letter )

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).

Full Signature

Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.


You can choose any 2 local newspapers for publishing it. (No need for FrontPage coverage). Although you need only one copy but its better to get ten copies of that newspaper in which your statement is published and preserve it carefully, because it’s now a lifetime issue. 

step 3 gazette notification

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, 

1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies  (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)

3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.


You need to send the following documents to the Secretary

1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your 

2. True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.

3.Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.\

4.A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)

5.A Copy of your current identity li your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.

Within a fortnight, after due verification, you will get a reply letter from Secretary, 

Make a few copies of the reply letter and again visit the Govt. Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette Notification and follow the below given instructions.\

1.Show them the reply letter, and they will match it with the order than they have received from the Secretariat (of your state).

2.Deposit the required amount for the publication. Here the amount depends on the kind of publication you want to go to (General and Extraordinary.). 


Once your statement is published in the official Gazette, you name change process comes to an end, and now you can enjoy your new name. 

Documents involved in the whole process

Name Change Affidavit, Newspaper Publication, Name Change Deed, Request letter to the Secretariat, Reply Letter from the Secretariat, Publication Money Receipt, Gazette Notification

Pranali Sharma   27 May 2017

Hi, Do ensure that all of the documents including PAN, Aadhar card, Bank Passbook should have the same name.To do aadhar card address change online click here.

Akash Sheth   14 December 2019

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us. If you have like how to change the name in adhar card, then provide me some sites that can provide service in online, then plzzz offer us.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query