LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohini Basu (student)     31 May 2013

Special marriage act

A Hindu lady and a Muslim man decides to marry under Special Marriage Act. At the time of marriage the Hindu lady decides not to change her religion. But after marriage, the lady decides to change her religion into her husband's religion. Can she do it? If she converts to other religion after marriage will the marriage be nullified?? Detail information wanted regarding this matter and Special Marriage Act.


 6 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     31 May 2013

The wife can change her religion after marriage if she wants. The marriage solomnized under the spl. marriage act will not be nullified by the virtue of her conversion to another religion. The marriage will be still valid.

akarsh (underwriter)     06 June 2013

Respected Madam,

Its my own grand fathers insurance company i working here @salary of 16,000/-,i want to marry a girl who is 6 months elder than per the law im 20 years,02-10-1993 its my dob.and girl is i want to marriage with her as soon as possible.if i will wait for more one year so i will be eligible to do marriage but her father will not going dubai for business purpose in i want to marry her...suggest me,



with regards,


Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     06 June 2013

Legally a groom should have completed 21 years of age at the time of marriage. This is the law and we cannot change it. If her father is not willing to wait, that may be bcoz he may not be trusting you and may be feeling  that you may later on change your mind. So in that case, you can explain him the legal hurdle and do engagement ceremony now so that there will be commitment on your part that you will marry his daughter. Do a nice engagement ceremony and fix the date of marriage after you complete 21 years.

akarsh (underwriter)     06 June 2013

her father dont know anythng about us.bcz if he gets any info about our relation so he might be take her to rajasthan at soon and he will do her marriage...

akarsh (underwriter)     06 June 2013

fine thankew so much archana madam,just let me know about this,if they force my gf to do marriage with another boy,can i/her do anythng in favour of law,any section is ther?to stop that 

Mohini Basu (student)     08 June 2013

Thank you Archana Ma'am. What are the procedures to apply for marriage under Special Marriage Act since it has to applied 30 days before. The groom is a Pakistani citizen and muslim and the bride is an Indian Hindu girl. What are the things required at the time of applying for the marriage in the absence of the groom? Since the groom is a Pakistani citizen and the application needs to be submitted 30 days before, so what is the procedure of getting married under special marriage act. The bride and the groom wants to get married as soon as the groom comes to india. And how many witnesses are required. Detail information needed regarding the law and the act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query